Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by Marsland: Mixed Feelings

Mixed Feelings

Sail Date: March 2014
Destination: Canary Islands
Embarkation: Barcelona

This was our first trip on NCL. The ship itself is lovely. The crew were also welcoming and efficient. Embarkation at Barcelona was a breeze. The issues we had have been raised in other reviews and we echo them. The food in the main dining room was poor. I had two meals that were inedible including a Malaysian chicken comprising overcooked rice, four chicken nuggets (I kid you not) and a sort of gingery sauce. It was put into stark contrast when we eventually stumped up to go into Cagneys Steak House which was excellent. We shouldn't though have had to pay extra to eat properly. I did though think the buffet was good but lacking any sense of occasion for dinner and at times a scrum with people scrambling for seats. The constant attempts to extract every last dollar were also an irritation with gratuities on (overpriced) drinks, occasional and sometimes random VAT and the final expected gratuities. On the plus side though we thought the shows were good. Our steward was great. Finally, More we may have been unlucky but virtually everybody we met had got the cruise at a knockdown price and it did seem they had heavily discounted to fill the ship. As I have to book holidays well in advance and so paid close to full price that was an irritation and if I ever went NCL again the only way I would do so is on a late and very cheap deal to offset the need to pay for the specialty restaurants. Less

Published 04/13/14

Read more Norwegian Spirit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Spirit Review >>

Compare Prices on Norwegian Spirit Canary Islands Cruises

Cabin review: 10520

This was fine. It had suites either side so art on the walls outside. Obviously that is what suite owners get for their money. An ok size but the third bed took up a lot of space. Good storage but drawers squeaked. Bathroom could do with a refit but adequate. Location is good. Up two flights to the pool area.

Have you taken a cruise before?
Thank you!