Carnival Inspiration Cruise Review by fhixon

Cruise Date: March 2014
Embarkation: Los Angeles
Destination: U.S.A.
Cabin Number: M78, M74
See More About: Carnival Inspiration Cruise Reviews | U.S.A. Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals

First Time Cruiser...expected more

This was a first cruise for myself and my children. My husband had traveled on many cruises when he was a child and had expectations that this cruise would live up to his memories Our children are 12 and 14 years old. They chose to not participate in the the teen club so spent much of their time in their rooms playing on their iPhones -which they could have done at home for free. Had they participated in the Teen Club and made friends, they would have had a more fun.

We had chosen to eat at 6:00 in the Carnivale dining room. Our waiter was good - but not great. If we asked for a soda it took a while to get it- if he remembered. I ordered the Prime Rib on Elegant dining night. I opted to have the "juice" poured on it. It was really gravy and ruined the flavor of the prime rib. I would recommend not getting the "juice". The macaroni and cheese with bacon was good as well as the mashed potatoes. I am not an adventurous eater so not the best to give an opinion. I had read reviews about the wait staff bringing all the food at once to the table. Our waiters did not. They did a good job serving us. On the last night, I had ordered a baked potato with sour cream. The sour cream never arrived and my son was given the wrong entree. The waiter was quick to bring the correct order.

We stayed in rooms M78 and M74 - adjoining rooms. The beds were very comfortable. It is difficult to adjust the temperature in the rooms. Even when I thought we had closed the fan on the ceiling all the way, it was still cold in the room. Naturally the rooms are small, but having nothing to compare them to, they were what I expected. I seemed to be the only one who had trouble keeping the water in the shower stall and not on the bathroom floor. All the floors have drains in them in the bathroom, so I suspect it is a common problem. We accidentally set the smoke alarm off in our room twice with the steam coming from the bathroom - so make sure to keep the bathroom door closed. The fire marshals were quick to respond when the alarm went off.

Overall, the experience was ok for our first cruise. Had we been able to go ashore in Catalina Island it may have been better. Ensenada is also not a very nice town, so a better Mexican town to stop in would have also been much better. I am glad we didn't pay extra for any excursions. We would have been forced to brave the waves to get to Catalina Island and in Mexico- the weather was chilly so scuba diving or any outdoor actives would have not been pleasant.

I would say I would go on another cruise, but not on this ship nor to these locations. We choose this particular cruise so we could stay a few days longer in California and take the kids to Disneyland.

Publication Date: 04/13/14
Read the U.S.A. ports review by fhixon
More Carnival Inspiration Cruise Reviews