Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by valifeisgood

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by valifeisgood
Norwegian Getaway
Norwegian Getaway
Member Name: valifeisgood
Cruise Date: March 2014
See More About: Norwegian Getaway Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Spa & Fitness 5+

Ship Facts: Norwegian Getaway Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Getaway Deck Plans
Beautiful Ship; Haven Special, some issues

First of all, Getaway is a nearly brand new ship-on the water for less than a month. Took my mom on the trip and we stayed in the Haven Suites Category S5 room 16110- if you can afford it, I recommend UP FRONT to stay in this area. There is a separate restaurant, pool, butler service, and concierge etc.

Highlights:

-Being in the Haven was special. The rest of the ship was HUGE and they clearly handled the masses, but it was certainly not of the quality or caliber of the Haven.

-Haven staff (and all of the staff on board) were fantastic. Estella, Ricky, Rose, Rose Ann and Elena were especially wonderful and made the trip a delight.

-Hats off to the head Concierge- Anoob. He was outstanding with every request.

-The butler situation was, well, weird. Other than bringing us lovely snacks everyday, not sure what else he did. He was a very nice person but asking me what I wanted didn't help...not sure want he could do. I packed and unpacked, he never asked to assist nor did he offer to iron clothing that was wrinkled. I got the pillows and chaise I requested, but not sure the benefits. Perhaps if I were having private parties it would have been more useful. Never even placed our luggage under the bed...Didn't notice the space until I was finishing our packing they final morning...

-Burn the Floor was fantastic; I was tired just watching them!

-ILLUSIONARIUM is a MUST. Food was lousy but the show was incredible. I would do it again. There is a premium charge for sitting near the front; seemed to me that this wasn't necessary; the room was small enough from which to see just about everything.

-Gym facilities were fantastic; the staff were really nice and accommodating; lots of equipment; classes were reasonably priced. Outside running track was a nice feature-how often can you run on the Caribbean Sea so why would you use a treadmill inside?

-Le Bistrot: wonderful dinner- the appetizers- escargot were the BEST I have ever had. Hated to complain again but the lamb chops were med well and I ordered medium rare. It took them 15 minutes to replace but didn't take my mom's dinner so she ate while I waited for my meal. The replacement lamb chops were incredible but was delivered so late we had to leave for a show. Because of their service, it was a disappointing situation but a wonderful meal.

-Really cool fireworks display...lots of fun ideas and things to do. They certainly keep everyone occupied.

Low points:

-Check in was frenetic- move into one room, sign in and then sit across the hall while waiting for an escort to move you through a maze of stations. There MUST be a more efficient way of handling VIPs. I can't imagine what the other 4000 people went through to sign in-UGH.

-When we got to our room...which we had to find ourselves, it wasn't ready even though it was already 1pm. We went to lunch.

-O'Sheehans: DO NOT REPEAT DO NOT try their prime rib...75% fat and the spinach/artichoke dip was disgusting soup. Several others experienced the same thing but many said it was good food. We returned to the Haven restaurant for dinner.

-Lunch in the Buffet was limited and very sparse. We returned to the Haven for lunch.

-Legally Blonde was just LOUD. Some of the gratuitous lines weren't necessary; it was a good show but MEH

-Ocean Blue: the food was high quality but for a $98 upcharge it was NOT worth it. The lobster risotto was fantastic but again, thought it wasn't worth the amount we paid...oh and they removed my plate before I was finished with dinner...OK....

-One of the "comedians" (and I use that term loosely) was just plain racist; had to use KKK, for example, to try to make his jokes funny. I walked out.

Other:

If you drink a glass or two of wine, buy a bottle; they will store it for you and retrieve for anyplace on the ship the following day or whenever you want to drink from it. Didn't know about this feature until 4th day.

Publication Date: 04/13/14
More Norwegian Getaway Cruise Reviews

Read the previous Norwegian Getaway review Read the next Norwegian Getaway review

More Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews