Carnival Sunshine Cruise Review by 3bsmom: Great time on the Sunshine

Compare Prices on Carnival Sunshine Western Caribbean Cruises

Great time on the Sunshine

Sail Date: March 2014
Embarkation: New Orleans

We had a fabulous vacation on the Carnival Sunshine out of New Orleans. I had read many many reviews before we left, so I felt like I should write a review to help the next person. There are 6 of us, my husband and I, our 19 year old son and his girlfriend, 16 year old daughter and 12 year old son. We drove from Missouri on Saturday and stayed in Jackson, MS. We left Jackson on Sunday morning around 9:00 and arrived in New Orleans around noon. We parked at the terminal, $112 for the week. We had very few lines when we got on the ship around 1:00.

We explored the ship, found our rooms on deck 6 and grabbed some lunch at the cantina. The burritos are as good as expected due to other reviews. Then we grabbed strawberry cake pops from the buffet. It was awesome, so I would suggest taking one back to your room for later. :) We had late dining. Our suitcases arrived around 6 so we had plenty of time to unpack before dinner. Monday was a Sea day. We had a late breakfast and enjoyed More the omelets in the Havana bar area. We explored more of the ship where we enjoyed the ropes course, the miniature golf, and other onboard activities. Monday was also the first “elegant” night. We dressed up and took several pictures. We enjoyed the Latin Nights show in the Liquid Lounge. Tuesday was also a sea day. We did similar activities and also enjoyed the Motor City show.

Wednesday we were in Jamaica. We took the Carnival shuttle that stops at several locations around the island. We rode to Doctor’s Cave Beach and then to Margaritaville. Thursday we were in Grand Cayman. Grand Cayman is one of my favorite ports. You do have to tender, but we were able to get off the ship quickly and head to our excursion. We swam with the Stingrays, snorkeled and visited Rum Point for lunch. All were terrific. Thursday was the second elegant evening. We always enjoy the dinner on elegant nights…Yummy Escargot.

Friday we were in Cozumel. We did some shopping and then spent the afternoon at El Cid. We had a very relaxing time. We would definitely go there again. We enjoyed the Hasbro game show. Saturday was a sea day, but the highlight of that day was the Epic Rock show in the Liquid Lounge. It was very good.

Overall, I have no complaints about this cruise. Our information had said that we would be able to self-disembark before 9:00, and we were not off until much later. Otherwise, everything was very smooth. Some things to remember are to eat at the Italian restaurant for lunch on sea days. It does not cost extra. Order multiple appetizers, entrees, and desserts so you can try different dishes. I wish on days when we have to be back on the ship before 5:00 that there were more options to eat than just Guy’s burgers. Guy’s is very good, however, the lines are long since it is the only thing open at that time. We enjoyed listening to the band, listening to the different karaoke sessions, and participated in some trivia. We frequented the casino and found the staff there to be very nice and accommodating. We found our rooms very comfortable. Remember to bring a power strip if you have several electronic devices. There is ample storage and don’t forget to plan to use the space under your bed. Less

Read more Carnival Sunshine cruise reviews >>