MSC Divina Cruise Review by kenkolen

MSC Divina
MSC Divina
Member Name: kenkolen
Cruise Date: March 2014
See More About: MSC Divina Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | MSC Cruises Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+

Ship Facts: MSC Divina Review (by Cruise Critic!) | MSC Divina Deck Plans
Beautiful and clean ship but that is where is stopped

First day 6 hours to get our luggage, and when we arrived late to the Villa Rosa Dining room we had to argue with the Matre D to be served late. He didn't ask, why are you so late, and believe me, they knew because it took hours for many quests to get their luggage, so we could be dressed appropriately. Food overall is mediocre, I suggest to order several dishes so you can get seconds of the good food, the scallop appetizer was a good example, order 3 or 4. One night I was served the Prime Rib, looked more like thin sliced sirloin, one piece was 100% fat, the other 50% fat, I questioned the waiter why they would bring this to the table and he smiled thinking I was joking I guess, but in Indonesia they likely do not eat Prime Rib so it is not his fault if he has never seen this type of food served correctly before. The buffet is not bad, however eat at your own risk, most of the time the food is barely warm, I didn't see a thermometer anywhere. Food below a certain temperature will breed germs, but then I have an iron stomach.

It is a huge ship, do you think one of the staff getting paid to be executives (Officers) would place staff to assist guests in finding their way around the ship, especially the first night or two? Oh, and honestly I do not remember seeing any officer on the ship greeting customers. In any 4 star plus restaurant you expect to see a manager or owner speaking to the guests. On the second day, we were in our state room, my wife mistakenly left her cell phone on the bed, she had been looking at photos. We left to get some food and when we returned the room was made up and her phone was gone. We tore the room apart, we approached the room steward, he said he saw nothing. It isn't the phone cost that hurt so much but my wife's photos. It was probably accidently taken away with the linens. The room steward should have sounded an alarm but he was probably more concerned about being accused of stealing. We went to guest service, uh did I say service, ha ha. We had to come back the next day and fill out a report so they could search our room. They did search our room the next day and I believe that is where it stopped, all they were trying to do is put on a show so that they have no responsibility. And the officer who came to the room, obviously learned English from a queue card, because when I asked him a question in English he kept repeating the same English words.

Entertainment, boring after a while, big on two piece karaoke type bands, a dueling piano, No Comedy on board, No Karaoke for the guests. The disco is a tremendous joke, one night it was full of kids! No doubt the main theatre is large and the shows lively and short.

Some staff were very pleasant, others very grouchy. My wife and I are very friendly and outgoing people. We spoke to the staff, I heard not one nice word about the Officers, the Italians or the Company. In fact we heard several not pleasant acronyms about what MSC stands for.

The bar staff were some of the best, in fact we bought the drink package. I don't recommend it, the drinks were very reasonably priced and we couldn't drink enough to get our money's worth. Most drinks are under $7.00.

Ports of Call, we have been to them all before, the best was Grand Cayman, excellent shopping and you can snorkel to a nice reef just a few feet from the ship. Fallsmouth Jamaica was disappointing, it is in the middle between Ocho Rios and Montego Bay, a long taxi ride to either, just stay in the ship and use the Spa. Cozumel you an go to a beach club, good value there.

The last stop in the Bahamas supposedly it was too rough to leave the ship, didn't look that rough to me and there was speculation that they staff was too tired. Not too far of a stretch to believe that. So they make announcements through out the ship at around 7AM, daaaa. Just to let us know we weren't getting off. And we were told they would do something special for us during the day. Nothing special was done.

I almost forgot, at the pool during the day, no music, these people seem to love Bingo through. Thank god I brought my own music.

We have been on many cruises, we like to have fun, this was not the place. Thank god the ship was clean because everything else was mediocre. It may be hard to believe, but I am not really that picky. It was a week off from work with limited communication to the office so I relaxed. But I come from a management/entrepreneur background. These people are in business but not in the hospitality business. They had best start shopping the competition to see what really happens in the American Cruise Line industry, there is a reason why Carnival keeps buying up unsuccessful cruise lines.

Publication Date: 04/21/14