Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by gnvdude: NCL Dawn - SJ Family Suite Room 12508

Compare Prices on Norwegian Dawn Western Caribbean Cruises

NCL Dawn - SJ Family Suite Room 12508

Sail Date: March 2014
Embarkation: Tampa

I'm not going to write a long review like many others. Instead I'll try to make it semi short and to the point.

This is our second sailing on the Dawn, and the first after her reburb where the Crow's Nest was converted to suites. We booked room 12508 and SJ Family Suite. Online it lists this room can come with concierge and butler service. We arrived at Tampa port at 12pm noon. We decided to pay the extra $20 and use the valet service (well worth it). After making it through security we were pointed to the suite check in line. Customer treatment with staff with NCL badges on at this point we felt was a little rude and lacking. But as we all know this is the usual hustle of getting checked in. After checking in we were pointed to pick up our ship cards at the concierge desk an NCL employee escorted us to this desk from the checkin desk. There we met Patrick the suites concierge. He asked Ceasar to take us and our carryon baggage to the room. Ceasar got us on the ship and to More our room 12508 on deck 12. We immediately went to lunch at Cagney's.

See my quick video of the room and mainly the coffee/espresso machine that many people seem to ask about here: http://youtu.be/L6BFv42oS3I

Breakfast and Lunch (suite benefit) was a very nice perk. We felt like the ship was not crowded as we were able to avoid the buffet mad house and service being much faster than the Venetian or Aqua.

Aqua - service was slow slow slow - as mentioned in other reviews we all sat there wondering if this was on purpose to get you to upgrade to the pay dining places.

Venetian - if you want the dining room this is the place to go.

Cagney's for dinner at $30 per head x7 = $210 = what a joke & never again - dishes were barely warm - steak quality was no better than outback - taste less than outback (we felt) = save your $$

Le Bistro - was actually better than Cagney's on the Dawn - but still we felt not worth the extra fee

Room 12508 SJ Suite = wonderful - we are now hooked on suites - I got a great deal on the price - even though I've looked for suites for our upcoming cruises they are out of our price range - so we enjoyed this while it latest - Jennifer was our butler, she was wonderful, totally attentive to our needs and requests. Our 2 yo son loves raspberries, after we told her daily fresh raspberries were delivered to the room. We took advantage of being able to order from the MDR and Cagney's for breakfast and lunch having appetizers delivered to the room (mainly shrimp cocktail). Loved the gigaset phone in the room where you are able to wander the ship and still make/get phone calls. We had extended family with staying in another non-suite room they were always able to track us down.

Ports I won't review them there are enough reviews on them out there. The only thing I'll add is we did Little French Key in Roatan = excellent, and a private tour in belize going to the baboon/monkey sanctuary and the belize zoo = wonderful and highly recommend.

Since we had our 15 yo and 2 yo along with us I'll note that the kids pool area is great for the 2 yo, and the 15 yo really enjoyed the suite life - the trundle bed that pulls out of the wall was very very comfortable for her much better then the sofa bed.

I wish NCL would put suites like this on their newer ships. Unfortunately there's no middle suite tier on their newer ships, you either spurg for the Haven or you don't. Less

Read more Norwegian Dawn cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Dawn Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Dawn 12508

Room 12508 - no noise what so ever, great locationYou have to walk through the pool area and buffet area to get to the aft kiddie pool area. Best route is up to 13, walk outside to aft, Cagney's right there, or down to 7 for MDR.