Thomson Majesty Cruise Review by lovetoholiday: First Thomson Cruise

First Thomson Cruise

Sail Date: March 2014
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Other

We flew from Glasgow to Malaga and it seemed that a few UK flights arrived within minutes of each other with the result that there was quite a queue at the port. It moved pretty quickly though (well we thought it did but we heard a few moans) and we were soon checked in and on board.

We were shown to our cabin – 480 an outside plus just forward of the rear stairs and lifts, a perfect location, and our cases were already waiting for us.

The cabin was bigger than I had expected based on previous reviews and had ample storage. It was set out as 2 single beds with 2 – 4 drawer chests of drawers between, there was a double and single wardrobe with mirror doors. Inside the double wardrobe was the safe and another 2 drawers. A cupboard at the end of one bed housed the fridge and more storage space, and then on the opposite side of the cabin at the end of the other bed was a dressing table with yet another 2 drawers.

There was plenty room under the beds More for the suitcases.

The shower room was compact with little storage, only a shelf under the sink and the space at the side of the sink. The shower was powerful, but the same couldn’t be said about the hairdryer! Bring your own!!!

Deck 4 was ideal for us, as one flight up was the dining room The Seven Seas, where we ate every night except 1, and also had breakfast there too. Breakfast is part buffet, but you are seated and brought coffee/tea and juice, you then help yourself to everything else and there was plenty to choose from. The food in the evening was also very good, no complaints at all.

Also on deck 5 are the shops, the reception area, the Rendezvous Bar and the Royal Fireworks.

Up another flight of stairs takes you to deck 6 with the Polo Club Bar and the Jubilee Lounge, which is the theatre for evening entertainment. The casino is also on this deck and is served by the Polo Club bar staff.

Deck 10 aft houses the Piazza San Marco with is one of the 2 buffet areas. We used this for lunch and again there was loads to chose from, and we never had a problem getting a table. We never ate in the other buffet the Café Royal as on the only time we looked in at it, it was very busy and crowded, so we stuck to the larger one. We also didn’t use the Royal Observatory Bar on deck 9 either as anytime we went there people were using it as an eating area overspill from the Café Royal and it was a bit offputting if you just wanted a quiet drink.

The spa is on deck 7 and I used this for a Sea Shell Massage – heaven!!! The gym is also on this deck – I saw it when the door was open.

The evening entertainment was wonderful, the showteam are terrific singers and dancers, I don’t know why they haven’t been snapped up by Simon Cowell! The shows were first class every night. Really really impressed. Before the main show each night Muzzic Unlimited played for half an hour and they too were excellent. They also played in other areas at other times too.

If I have a gripe and it’s only a small one, there was not enough activities on our sea day. Unfortunately it wasn’t sunbathing weather, so we had to find things to do inside and I just thought there would have been more activities, but maybe that’s just me.

As for sunbathing – it looks as though a lot of the sunbeds have been replaced as most of them seemed new, with just some older style ones getting brought out when they were needed.

We had the drinks package which was wonderful, it was great signing your receipt and seeing a zero charge – way to go!!!

To sum up, did I enjoy my cruise on the Thomson Majesty – Yes. Would I recommend it – Yes. Would I go again – Yes.

Having sailed on HAL and Princess, I would say that what the Majesty lacks in Glitz it more than makes up for with friendly staff and excellent evening entertainment. Less

Read more Thomson Majesty cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Thomson Majesty Review >>

Cabin review: Thomson Majesty 480

Excellent location just forward of the aft stairs and lifts. Bigger than expected with plenty storage.