Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by harold369

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by harold369
Norwegian Breakaway
Norwegian Breakaway
Member Name: harold369
Cruise Date: March 2014
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bahamas
See More About: Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

BREAKAWAY- HEAVEN in the HAVEN

I have read most of the reviews before boarding Breakaway in March. I am glad to read that there were many who enjoyed their cruise. I will also state that there will always be those who find found fault with even the smallest issue and manages to make it seem to be a disaster. I believe that we make or break our experiences on a cruise. The old saying " give me lemons and I will make lemonade". We had a great cruise, even though we left New York in MARCH ; only 40 degrees but sunny. We arrived as usual, at 10:15 am, check in was a snap as we had a Haven Stateroom ; we are also Platinum status. We waited in the Haven lounge until we boarded. Unfortunately our concierge was not present; normally the concierge greets us in the lounge. We boarded before noon and went directly to the Haven Court yard and finally met our Concierge ; Ruth. We were allowed to drop off our carry on luggage in our stateroom. We returned to have lunch in the Haven Court yard restaurant. The menu for breakfast, lunch and supper are the same everyday; supper has one speciality item added to the menu. We had to attend an early Boat Drill, we were leaving Manhattan at 3 pm ; first time we left so early. We all attended the boat drill in different venues in the ship ; the drill was over in less than 15 minutes. I checked to see if all my pre-booked Shows and dinner reservations at MDR were still reserved. All my reservations were as I had done before sailing. There is a great feature on Breakaway, near the elevators or one's stateroom, any guest could book a show, speciality restaurant or any other reservation needed. I would like all new ships to have this screen on every ship. The screen can show any gust where they are and give directions to go to another destination on the ship. We had eaten at Le Bistro and Cagneys for supper, my wife and friend ate at Trepayakki. The serve and food was great and we never had a problem making a reservation. Even though I had a butler and Concierge, I was very capable in making my own reservation. The butler- Rogin and Concierge- Ruth both did a very good job. We only ate twice in MDR- Manhattan, food and serve was good . I had only ate breakfast the last morning at the buffet, it was good. My only complaint was the passengers WHO FAILED to sanitise their hands upon entering the buffet. That morning there were no one from the ship to make sure each guest sanitised their hands. I ate most of my breakfasts, lunches and two suppers at the Haven Court Yard restaurant. Food for me is not high on my list, the service and atmosphere are more important. I really enjoyed eating in the Haven Court yard restaurant; and for me the food was great. I went each morning to the Fitness Center. This is the first ship that separated the tread mills and exercise machines from bar bells etc. This was fantastic, I was always able to find a tread mill; even though at 6 am. I brought a change of clothes and went to the Haven Court Yard. I took an amazing shower and changed. I went for breakfast by 7 :30 am ; before my wife and friend woke up. Most mornings, there was no one there. After breakfast, I stayed in the court yard, the lounge chairs are very good. Most mornings, I changed into my bathing suit after breakfast and went into the Hot Tub. There was never a problem , at any time of day, to go into the Hot Tub. There is also a sauna, very comfortable and accessible at the court yard. I found out that there is over 200 guests that can use the HAVEN. I would like to thank all those who did not use the Haven Court Yard. The reason being that we were always able to get lounge chairs, access to the Hot Tub and Sauna. Twice a day an attendant would give each guest at the Haven Court yard fruit on a stick. Near the pool are were tables to eat breakfast or lunch. There were orange juice and iced water and coffee for the guests. Near these drinks were cookies, cakes , gummi bears or chocolate cover peanuts - M &M's. I stayed most of my relaxing time in the Haven. We had a solarium in the court yard ; a section was opened in the morning. I passed on the upper outdoor decks , because it was March, it was very cold and windy. Most of the guests were bundled up, they wanted to be outside. None were complaining, they accepted that they choose to cruise in March. Good for them, they are making the most of their cruise. I heard about the rope course, I changed into my runners and went onto the course. It was cool and windy. I really enjoyed it, the Zip line was closed because it was windy. The first three times I went on the course, there was a small line. Guests waited until the last two days- Sea Days, we had to wait 45 minutes ; Zip line open. It was worth the wait. No one complained about the wait but they should have gone at the beginning of the cruise; very little waiting time. I did not try the slash tubes but even on the most windy and cool days, the young were on the short lines to the tubes. I saw Burn the Floor and Rock of Ages two times ; I pre-booked each before cruising and each once I was on board. We really enjoyed Burn the Floor but my wife does not like Rock and Roll. I really enjoyed both shows and might have seen Rock of Ages again. If you do not like loud music or music in Rock of Ages---do not see the show. We were suppose to arrive in Port Canaveral but were experiencing engine trouble. We arrived 2.5 hours late and left 1 hour early. I am sure there were many guests who were disappointed; the time in port was too short- so we stayed on board. We arrived the next morning at NCL'S private island. We were on the first tender and the day was hot and terrific. My wife and friend ate at the BBQ and enjoyed it. I do not like the BBQ's and returned to the Haven for lunch; which I really enjoyed- very quiet at lunch. The next morning we landed in Nassau, we have been there many times. We went shopping downtown and took a water taxi to Atlantis. We stayed only a few hours and returned to the ship. Every afternoon, we received goodies to our stateroom between 5-6pm by our butler. My wife found out on our last cruise that we could get movie DVD's for our stateroom. The butler brought a plate of potato chips and plate of cookies- so they could watch movies. My wife and friend decided that the last three mornings on the cruise- that they would have breakfast in our stateroom. They ordered glasses of orange juice and mixed them with white wine and had their morning breakfast. We had a very good stateroom attendant- whatever we needed, he provided. Our room always had clean towels and clean room. We found most of the staff on the ship very helpful and professional. Those from the Philippines were the best, most ships we have been on, they are always smiling and work very hard to please the guests. The complaint I have is, that some executive staff avoid our eyes and do not greet us as we expect they should. There was one stateroom attendant near our stateroom who rarely said hello and one day- charged down the hall with his cart and almost hit my wife. On all the cruises we have been on, we always find that there are some staff on the ship who really do not want to be on the ship and we can see by their behaviour to other guests. These individuals should not be working on the ships.

We were very lucky to have stateroom 14872, AFT- port. Our room was large, our friend had her own bathroom and shower. There was a door between our room and the living room/ dining room. Our balcony was very large, about 25-30 feet; we had two lounge chairs, a wicker table and 4 chairs and a little table between the lounge chairs. I read that other guests on breakaway had small balconys; not in S6 category. Our bathroom had a bath tub, a shower and double sink. Lots of space and lots of shelves for towels. My wife and friend ate a few times at O'Sheehan , they loved the chicken tenders. The wraps, onion rings and fries were fantastic in the Haven Court yard. One night we arrived for supper in Haven restaurant at 5:45 pm but it was not ready for us; opens at 5:30 pm. We were allowed in at 6 pm . The maitre'd felt bad that we had to wait. We were given a bottle of wine- our choice. That was the kind of service I received every time I ate in the Haven. I believe that NCL has spelled it wrong. The spelling should be HEAVEN. We felt very pampered in the Heaven. We will be sailing on the Getaway ( Jan 2015) and Escape ( Jan 2016 ) in the Haven stateroom. This is my opinion, if you can pamper yourself, select a Haven stateroom and have access to the Haven.

There are only two big shows on the Breakaway which take up most of the entertainment. There is a so called magician, the show is 45 minutes but does 35 minutes of boring talking. Most of the cruises we have been on, shows are limited but there is something every night; sometimes the shows are great or not. The problem on the breakaway, there is very limited entertainment. We travelled in March, some of the entertainment outside at night was not possible because of the weather. There was Second city, some guests did not enjoy the show and we do not like this type of show; we did not go. There is a Jazz club and Howl at the Moon; we did not go to either shows. We saw some of the activities, game shows at the Atrium. Those were fun. The internet was improved, not as slow but not fast. It was pretty good compared to other cruises I have been on. The waterfront is interesting but at night, because of March, there was nothing happening; seemed always dead.

Overall, we had a great cruise. We found the other guests were approachable and really enjoying their cruise. We saw very few guests that were not enjoying themselves; maybe because most are from New York and surrounding states. We found very few complaints, there are over 4000 guests and we never felt that there were so many guests at one time. We pre booked our MDR reservations, we always walked in; of course we ate early. We are on vacation, one can eat any time, any time of day and as many times as we want. That is the great thing about NCL, everyone else is starting to get the idea. I read many complaints about NCL nickel and diming for speciality restaurants. There are guests, like us, who will pay extra to eat at these restaurants; service and food better. Stop complaining, go to a cruise on Oceania, Silversea etc where everything is included. What do you think you will pay? Three to four times what you are paying on NCL; also the rooms are smaller. Maybe we are the exception but we had a fantastic cruise. I say to all reading my review and other reviews, each individual decides what they want on a cruise. If Breakaway is not for you, do not book it. I read so many reviews, good and bad. In my opinion, most of the bad is not always the ship but the guest. They want to cruise on a Bentley with a budget of a Volkswagen. The amazing thing in the 21st century and the internet, Facebook, Twitter etc, people do not review cruise ships and complain after; read those who have sailed before. In my opinion, those who complain can never find anything to their satisfaction. They should book a holiday at a resort. I am sorry if I have rambled on and on in my review; my first review. I have read too many bad cruises on the Breakaway, is it the ship or the guests? I can not answer that, we had a great cruise in a great stateroom. We are looking forward to Getaway and Escape. We hope that if you choose Breakaway, you will also have a great cruise. The only exception, take a cruise in the summer or fall; so you can enjoy waterfront and H2O.........

Publication Date: 04/11/14
More Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Reviews

More Norwegian Breakaway Reviews
Poor choice
Don't listen to the naysayers,...
Great!