“Not bad for first time”
Cruise review of Carnival Ecstasy

cdmjulee Carnival Ecstasy 5 Not bad for first time
cdmjulee
Member Since 2014
No Forum Posts
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating

It was a family affair, husband and I were persuaded by son, daughter-in-law and 15-year old grandson to accompany them for our first ever cruise. We travel often, worldwide, using air miles and carry-on luggage, making our own itineraries, so cruising is not something we had ever contemplated. Surprise!!! My husband loved the spectacle of watching a ship full of frolicking (and staggering and vomiting, etc.) Spring Breakers; that was his favorite entertainment. The live music was good most nights, and the food was not bad. Breakfast pastries were not great, but the sourdough dinner rolls were outstanding. Liked best: lobster, salmon, crabcakes, lunch buffet French themed. Never even sampled pizza (we're picky) or Mongolian grill. Coffee was good, and was especially pleased that they have real butter and real half-and-half. I am immediately turned off by margarine (although they had that as an option). Had one massage (courtesy of my daughter-in-law) and found it uninspiring; masseuse from Thailand seemed mentally challenged and more interested in pushing products. Later they double charged my daughter-in-law's account which necessitated an irritatingly long wait in a line for correction at end of trip.

We had a very nice cabin, clean and clean-smelling, with a wide oceanview window. I had been apprehensive after reading reviews of bad smells, mildew, engine noise, etc. That was certainly not the case with our cabin, even though there were some late night noises from the exuberant Spring Breakers. I was up watching TV (a nice, unanticipated bonus) while husband slept soundly. Cabin steward Tom was a joy - remembered our names and tidied up discreetly. I fail to see the charm of towel animals, but they were a curiosity more than a nuisance.

Carnival Ecstasy Cruises to the Western Caribbean
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review:

E42
This was a lovely cabin, clean and clean-smelling, with a great wide oceanview window. I had been apprehensive after reading reviews of bad smells, mildew, engine noise, etc. That was certainly not the case with our cabin, even though there were some late night noises from the exuberant Spring Breakers. I was up watching TV (a nice, unanticipated bonus) while husband slept soundly.

Mayan Ruins

We took the shorter (4 hr.) Mayan ruins tour and really enjoyed the small group and great guide. He knows the historical significance, speaks English well, and he really showed us around the entire island. It was HOT! but umbrellas helped, and we stopped at a fabulous seaside-on-the-sand little snack stop and enjoyed the best ceviche and beers of the entire trip/cruise.

Port

Low rating is because there wasn't enough time to do anything in port. Our kids bought a double ticket for Hemingway House and Truman compound but were only able to do one of the sights. My husband and I have been in Key West for an extended (and very pleasant) visit so we opted to go to bars (Hog's Breath and Margaritaville) and Harley shop. Very pleasant and un-rushed and catching shuttle back to port was no problem.

Read 1,115 Key West Reviews
Published 04/11/14
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Carnival Ecstasy Review
Carnival Ecstasy Cruises to the Western Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?