Thomson Dream Cruise Review by Emilia1: Thomson Dream Tropical Treasures - first cruise!

Emilia1
Member Since 2014

Cabin Not Rated

Thomson Dream Tropical Treasures - first cruise!

Sail Date: March 2014
Embarkation: Barbados

We're quite a young couple for cruises (24 and 28), but when an opportunity comes to see the Caribbean, we just couldn't say no!

First of all, we were told there will be a balanced mix of passengers of different age. Well, yes, if you take the ages 50-80 ;). However, it completely doesn't matter, as we had the time of our life anyway! We are generally quite withdrawn, but the atmosphere on the Dream was so friendly that there was no way not to make some acquaintances. After all, cruises give a great opportunity to meet different people and hear their story.

As to the ship, it's fabulous. I saw some reviews complaining that this or that is dated, and yes, the bathrooms have probably seen 80's and I've never seen anybody actually catching a lift, but I loved it. It has this old elegant charm and elegance about that I wouldn't change for anything modern.

We booked the cheapest inside cabin and didn't even choose any particular one. On the arrival we found out More we got a spacious cabin on deck 9, close to restaurant and with a window offering a lovely unobstructed view of the deck and sea! Now I'm not sure if all the cheapest cabins were taken or do we owe it to it being our honeymoon. Either way, we were over the moon. Also, due to our honeymoon/anniversary, a girl of heavenly voice sang for us in the Grill restaurant, which brought a tear to my eye. If that wasn't enough, the amazing band 'The Peakles' plaid 'Lady in red' specially for us in the Medusa. Unforgettable!

The food. It was plentiful, fresh, tasty, in any of the restaurants on the ship. I find it funny that people praise Orion and slight the Lido, as they pretty much served the same food, the difference being that in Orion you had to choose one of each courses and in Lido you could stuff yourself with everything if you were indecisive (not saying we did ;). Perhaps it was not Michelin dining, but it was always very tasty and available pretty much 24/7.

The service was outstanding, as everybody will agree. I'm rather unsociable and they even made me smile all the time and say hello to every person who passed me. For the ladies, if you have enough hair to play with, I compel you to go to the Oceans beauty salon and get Maja to do your Captain's Gala hairdo. Mine was mind blowing! Best ever thing I had done on my head. I would be very careful with the make up there though. Make sure you are given a mirror and check as you go along or you might end up with a look a' la Russian beauty pageant '87 ;).

Finally, destinations. Barbados, Antigua, Tortola, Dominica, St. Bart's, St. Vincent. All absolutely stunning, each in a very different way! Some would not be worth staying for a long holiday unless you just like to frazzle, but that only makes the cruise so absolutely amazing.

If I made it sound all too sweet, don't think I'm so easy pleased! The flight attendants on Thomson flight to Barbados were terribly lazy and you would wait eternity for someone to bring you water, let alone food. That, however, ends when you get off the plane. Also, be careful with money. Lots of overpriced services and shops on the Dream. You'll be better off doing shopping in Barbados airport or any other duty free. As to Thomson shore excursions, they ARE extortion overall, but sometimes they offer things you won't be able to get on shore (like catamaran cruise). If you want to see the dolphins in Tortola, book directly. We did Thomson excursion on our last day, to go see the green turtles. We had a lovely time on a shabby barge, with lots of drinks and rum punch and we even stopped on way back for a splash on a beautiful beach.

That came out way too long, but I just had to share! Everybody should do this and enjoy every moment! Less

Read more Thomson Dream cruise reviews >>