Nieuw Amsterdam 5

“OK - next time will try another brand”
Cruise review of Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam

danamp
Member Since 2014

Overall Member Rating

We have previously sailed with Carnival and Princess. I know all three cruise lines are owned by Carnival, but the differences were vast. Carnival definitely has a family and younger 20-30's age range. Princess seems to cater to a little older crowd, with less children. Holland America seem to attract the much older crowd (and I am 50). I must say that the entertainment on Carnival and Princess were hands down SO much more entertaining. I have seen better High School productions, then what we saw on Holland America. On this cruise all of the clubs were very quiet by 10-11pm. So if you want to stay up late with some late night dancing, this is NOT the cruise line for you. We did find the piano bar lots of fun!!!

Our cruise was saved by the wonderful table mates that we were matched up with. I am thinking they sat us together because of our age group. We hung out before, during and after dinner. All 10 of us were disappointed with the dining room menu options, with the More exception of surf and turf night. The menu choices were strange. One night, three of us sent our entrees back and ordered the steak that is available on the every night menu. Most of the soups were too salty and tasted like them came out of can, with the exception of the French Onion, which was a hit at our table every night.

The ship is very nice, the Lido deck dining is wonderful! It is very quiet on the back of the ship (adult only area). The pool in the center of the boat is filled with lots of activity. So you can have your choice of quiet or active.

My husband thoroughly enjoyed his massage in the Spa.

Our cabin stewards were amazing!

Overall the SERVICE was excellent, and it was a good experience. Less

Nieuw Amsterdam Cruises to the Western Caribbean

Overall Ratings

Sail Date: March 2014
Family & Children
Rates
Value for Money

Cabin review:

5148
Rooms were very nice.. Plenty of room for both of us, and all of our clothing and stuff! Loved having the full bath tub.

Dolphin Swim

AWESOME!!! Loved swimming with the dolphins and seeing the sea turtle farm. The staff at the Dolphin site were very friendly and you could tell they love their jobs. The dolphins are powerful but gentle and loving. What a great experience

Published 04/10/14

Read Cruise Critic's Nieuw Amsterdam Review

Nieuw Amsterdam Cruises to the Western Caribbean

Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?