Golden Princess Cruise Review by GrammarGrandma

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Golden Princess Cruise Review by GrammarGrandma
Golden Princess
Golden Princess
Member Name: GrammarGrandma
Cruise Date: March 2014
Embarkation: Buenos Aires
Destination: South America & Antarctica
Cabin Number: E519
See More About: Golden Princess Cruise Reviews | South America & Antarctica Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

Disappointing on several counts

I agree with much of what smajy said in his review. But I would add a few more comments. Our biggest disappointment was the lack of intellectual content to the "Enrichment Lectures." South America has a rich culture and history. We had many sea days where we could have learned about their history and culture. However, the "enrichment lectures," (and I use the lower case purposely) consisted of fluff: "The History of Rock and Roll," "Great T.V. Moments," "The '50s-The decade of Elvis, Hula Hoops, and 3-D Movies," and "Great T.V. Commercials." Even those that attempted to have some intellectual content, about the history of computers or the moon landing (most of us lived through those events) had nothing to do with South America. I spoke to people from the U.S., Australia, Canada, England, France, and Sweden, and all had the same complaint.

Our room air conditioner did not work right. When we got to the very hot temperature areas in the northwest of South America and Central America, the temperature in the room consistently measured 25 degrees C (that's 77 degrees F) when at the lowest position. We had the air-conditioning techs attempting to fix it for at least 3 or 4 days. They finally gave up. My husband, who was most uncomfortable, asked for a different room, but was told there were none. When he challenged that, telling them that we knew that there were people who had left the ship, they offered us an inside cabin on an upper deck. We declined and they finally offered us a "whopping" $170 for our discomfort.

Many of the public restrooms often had a toilet and/or a sink out of order. In the first part of the trip, when it was very cold, the temperature in the Princess Theatre was kept too cold for comfort. People were wearing outdoor winter clothing just to see the show. Someone suggested that they kept it that way to reduce the growth of bacteria and viruses. Judging by the amount of coughing and sneezing, it didn't work!

Although we heard many complaints about the entertainment, we found many programs we enjoyed. We didn't care much for the crew productions, but we enjoyed the comedians, the folkloric shows, the magic, and most of all, we really enjoyed the pianist, Count Dimas, and the violinist, David Klinkenberg. They were outstanding!! We saw some good movies while onboard, but I must say it would be cheaper to go to the movies at home or watch them on our big screen television with On Demand or Netflix.

The food was only okay. Many times I chose the "always available" option because I couldn't find something that appealed to me. My husband enjoyed the desserts because he doesn't get those at home. We both enjoyed the hors d'oevres in Skywalkers before dinner, especially the shrimp fountain. I must commend the executive chef, Ottavio Bellesi, and the maître d'hôtel, Neville Saldanha. They were very responsive to my request for a special pastry for the Jewish holiday of Purim which occurred while we were on board. They came to our table because they didn't know how to prepare it. After I explained what to do, they provided a huge tray of the pastry for Friday night Sabbath services, and they were perfect, and so delicious!!

Publication Date: 04/10/14