Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by lucifee83

Carnival Splendor
Carnival Splendor
Member Name: lucifee83
Cruise Date: March 2014
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bahamas
See More About: Carnival Splendor Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Shore Excursions 5+

In a sea of Canadians

With the difficult winter we've had, it was wonderful to board the Splendor for 8 days away from ordinary. Embarkation was easy as pie, and everyone was very gracious. We sailed mid-March, and it turned out to be Canadian spring break. There was definitely an abundance of families, college kids, and fun. Our cabin was on the aft Riviera deck, so we did plenty of walking. One of the pleasant surprises was that the elevators were usually never full, so we got around the ship very easily.

We had the early seating for dinner in the Gold Pearl. We were seated in a booth with another couple; turned out to be a very good choice. Nice people. Each night in the dining room they stopped service to do a little number for us. All of the guys would put on puffy colored shirts and do a dance on top of the serving tables. It was nice, but unnecessary I think. But that's just me.

Seaside brunch was not one of my favorite meals. We went once, to order eggs benedict. It wasn't the warmest dish, and breakfast took over an hour to accomplish. After that we stuck to the morning buffet.

Each night's dinner was very good. Sometimes the service was slow, but I feel that was from being a bit understaffed. Iwayan, our waiter, did a great job!

The production shows were very good. Vroom is a rock show, very very good! Fiesta Latina was fantastic!, and Beat Goes on was about decades of music - it was so-so. There was a mentalist I wasn't fond of, and an R&B singer that wasn't a very good singer; we left in the middle of that one.

A couple recommendations

1) on the 10th floor there is a small buffet called Rotisserie - great place to avoid lines! Everyone forgets it's there. To get to it easily, go to the Lido deck buffet and climb the stairs behind the dessert bar.

2) Definitely take the Western Heritage tour if you're in Freeport. It was wonderful. The guide was knowledgeable (even took us past his grandma's house), and snorkeling was great! You have to swim out from shore, and they take great care to make sure you have a good time. Get the conch fritters for lunch!

3) Take the Behind the Fun tour! It was a great time! We got to go up on the bridge, into the galley, steakhouse, meat locker, crew & captain's dining quarters, and learned oodles about the ship. And the goodies you get are abundant! 8x10 w/you & the captain, 8x10 of you and the group, sling bag, rubber bracelet, baseball hat, fun fact sheet (including the recipe for the chocolate melting cake!), and a tray of special pastries in your cabin.

A few things that I would do over -

Do NOT do the spa tour raffle - the tour was great, but the raffle was definitely to be missed. They had it just after departure, so you would miss seeing New York and the Statue of Liberty as you depart. And they rehash the entire tour during the raffle. It takes forever.

Future cruises seminar - 45 minutes of my day I wish I could have back. They simply talked about all of their ships, and told you to book early.

The one thing that put me off a bit was that they pushed the spa so much. Nothing in that spa was what I deem affordable. I did bend and get a pedicure, but $75 was a serious splurge for me. And even during the pedi they were trying to sell additional products and services.

Overall, we had a wonderful time. Check out the piano bar for some fun, and definitely check out the Punchliner Comedy Club (and the drink - it's awesome)!

Publication Date: 04/10/14