Viking Danube Cruise Review by Karlarn

Member Name: Karlarn
Cruise Date: May 2010
Embarkation: Budapest
Destination: Europe River
See More About: Viking Danube Cruise Reviews | Europe River Cruise Reviews | Viking River Cruise Deals
Shore Excursions 5+

Ship Facts: Viking Danube Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Viking Danube Deck Plans
BEAUTY ABOUNDS ON THE DANUBE

The weather was perfect for cruising down the Danube. We began this adventure in Budapest, then on to Slovakia, Vienna, and ending in Passau, Germany. The cities were breath-taking and our tours were nothing less than awesome. My only complaint was the Viking ship itself. Considering the cost of this journey, we were expecting a newer and more luxurious boat. Granted, I am accustomed to ocean liners and round the clock catering...so I was quite surprised when Viking fell oh so short in the satisfaction department. We knew the ship would be smaller but never anticipated such an old vessel. The food was quite awful, extremely salty to the point of where at the end of the week, my body was very swollen from excess sodium! There were no snacks after your dinner, so unless you managed to smuggle something into your room, or visited the bar for dry roasted peanuts...you went hungry until breakfast. Complimentary lemon water, coffee/tea was offered buffet style 24-7....but I can get that at a Motel 6. The dining staff also left much to be desired, I've gotten better service at McDonald's. One evening our waiter even became argumentative with a guest in our group ....an absolute no-no.. Entertainment was primarily a one-man show of a gentleman on a small, electric organ singing Elvis tunes....not something I want to go all the way to Europe for. Prior to booking this vacation, we had heard nothing but rave reviews about the Viking Line. We opted to write a letter of complaint only to be offered a small discount on our next trip....dream on!! Maybe we just had a bad experience or perhaps we're too particular? If it was just me I would say "very possible", but my opinion was shared by everyone in our party and others on board as well. I guess I'll stick to Royal Caribbean...I'd rather be treated like a Royal than a Viking any day.

Publication Date: 04/09/14