Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by Koozie72: A few hiccups but they straightened them out (7.5/10)

Koozie72
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Norwegian Epic Western Caribbean Cruises

A few hiccups but they straightened them out (7.5/10)

Sail Date: March 2014

I would give it a 7.5 out of 10.

THE GOOD: The ship was awesome. Very large, plenty of space to walk around on deck, plenty of loungers in the sun, didn't have to rush out early to grab a seat, many different spaces to choose from and areas where you can get away (deck 8 shuffleboard), adult deck up as high as you can go near starboard bow. lots to do, water slides, nice large sports deck, excellent gym, great pools, many jacuzzis, rock climbing wall, plenty of restaurants to choose from, food above average for a cruise ship, large deck on stateroom, plenty of storage space in stateroom, excellent entertainment. Blue Man Group and Cirque de Sol are a must attend. I love the band at Fat Cat's. Kids club staff is great. The specialty restaurants were very good, especially The French Restaurant, Le Bistro (lamb chops) and The Brazilian steak house. Cigar bar is a cool getaway for smokers of all kinds. Ice bar was a cool experience. So much to do, I did not get bored on sea days. More On most ships I can get a little cagey. Overall I liked it and would recommend this ship to a friend. The ports were what you make of them. Do your research on Trip Adviser and don't stay near the ship. Go out and explore and you will have a great time.

THE BAD: NCL does not offer an unlimited adult beverage package during Spring Break and never told us, so we ended up spending more $$$ than anticipated on drinks. Our room was not very clean and our steward did a poor job. I got bed bug bights on first night, then they changed our mattresses and sheets and it was ok from thereafter. Overall the service was about average at best. Room service was a joke, they got every single order wrong. The Italian restaurant was way too bright (food was good). No bowling for kids under 6, my poor 5 year old was upset. Boarding and disembarkation was slow, but that is par for the course for any large ship I have been on. The pools had so much chlorine, it was very difficult to get the smell off of us. The buffet seemed to never change. Less

Read more Norwegian Epic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Epic Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Epic 12069

Large balcony, plenty of storage space in the room, tight moving around. Overall I was happy with the room.

We grabbed a cab $8 to town and avoided the tourist trap area surrounding the port. The town Mahahual, was great. $25 per hour massages on the beach. Great food and drinks. Safe, comfortable beach with tables and chairs, hammocks. Lot's of activities available for purchase including fishing, jet skis, snorkeling, scuba, tubing, etc.

If you want to save money, walk about 100 feet from the beach and get lunch at one of the locally operated places on a side street. On the beach, they are much pricier. Beware of all the free tequila shots. I definitely spent more than I wanted to because of the lapse of judgement created by over imbibing tequila.

This is a fun and safe area for families or groups or couples as well. You could also rent a golf cart and drive there yourself. Goof chatchki shopping, too.

We always take our own snorkel gear, rent a jeep and then explore the island stopping at 2 or 3 spots grabbing a drink and food and having a good time. Lots to do. Just do some research and go explore. Good shopping and beaches.

Read 3106 Cozumel Reviews

I cant wait to go back. We (wife, 5 and 7 year old boys and myself) booked our tour with Chris Linton Tours (kplinton@yahoo.com) and went to The Blue Hole, Tubing on The White River and lunch at Scotchie's (jerk chicken and pork) followed up by hanging out on the beach. The highlight of our trip.

The Blue Hole is like something out of a dream. Tubing on the river was excellent and so was the food.

Make sure to tip all of your guides. They all made us feel comfortable and were trying to make sure we had a good time with safety first mentality. Awesome stop.