“Just so~so on this Jewel cruise”
Cruise review of Norwegian Jewel

takingthefam2cruz Norwegian Jewel 3 Just so~so on this Jewel cruise
takingthefam2cruz
Member Since 2008
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating

I have been on the NCL Jewel 2 years ago to Alaska and that trip was great, this trip was just so~so. First, embarkation was slow~ the slowest ever on the 8 NCL cruises that I have been on. Once on board every thing seemed to run smoothly with the muster drill and getting signed in for Kids Club ( 8 year old), making a few dinner reservations and getting all of our luggage. Just for the record, I hate not having preprinted luggage tags ( they stopped 2 years ago)~ that is a changed that I do NOT like and will never like. You can either print them yourself with flimsy copy paper that can easily come off, or get them from the porter at the dock who seems ticked that you don't have your bag tagged already.

This was the first time cruising as Platinum Latitudes and we did receive a few nice perks~dinner for 2 at a specialty restaurant no more than $20 ( just not Cagney's) . One for each my husband and I and the Casino gave us 2 nights at Cagney's. We were able to eat at Le Bistro ( wonderful, one of the best meals of the trip), Moderno also very good my favorite thing at the all meat place is the pineapple . The 2 nights at Cagneys was also very good, the wagu sliders were very good. Other food on the ship just so~so. I love the oatmeal cookies but could never find them out so i just ordered them from Room Service~ problem solved.

The staff is awesome, always accommodating. I saw several times that staff was getting in trouble by supervisors( maybe that would be better done not in front of guests) , this happened several times.

JP the magician was awesome again and by far the best entertainment on the ship. Music just OK, the Le Cir Que Bijou was just OK, but remember I have seen it already and first timer would have loved it.

Shore Excursions, we did our own thing in Cozumel, the dolphins swim booked by the company myself saved us about $200 for the day,taxis are so available not an issue to go it alone. Belize we did a ship tour to Water Caye for a beach day and it was fine, wouldn't do it again but ok for the day. Roatan was on our own again we went to the Iguana Farm, so much fun, we loved it and the rest of the day at Parrot Tree Resort, beautiful, not crowed and it is a lagoon of the most beautiful turquoise water. I was glad I chose that place because the wind was very strong that day and waves were rough and since this was a lagoon it was very calm for our 8 year old. The trip in Roatan was booked through Excursions Roatan and had a very good guide who stayed with us the whole time and spoke very good english, thank you Sandy for a great day.

No stop in Costa Maya, too rough to dock. We were disappointed we didn't get the last beach day but took much needed naps in the cabin that day.

The ships tour that we got for being a Platinum was a joke~ didn't get to see much of the ship , only a teaser to get you to pay big$$$$ for the other tour that showed the stuff you really want to see,should have taken a nap instead of going on that one~ Biggest disappointment of the trip.

Kids Club did not WOW my little guy as in the past, and Team Nick on the cruise 2 years ago was much better, maybe we just need some new stuff to do, not the same every cruise.

All in all we like NCL and paid the money for down payment for a cruise in the next 4 years just not next year, I think I need a break from cruising for a year and I will see you in 2 years.

Norwegian Jewel Cruises to the Western Caribbean
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review:

11060
Very good bed, lots of storage, just a little pool noise, quiet nights, smoky neighbors kept us from using our balcony sometimes.
Published 04/07/14
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Norwegian Jewel Review
Norwegian Jewel Cruises to the Western Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?