Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by dkbrig

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by dkbrig
Independence of the Seas
Independence of the Seas
Member Name: dkbrig
Cruise Date: March 2014
See More About: Independence of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Shore Excursions 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Very Enjoyable!

There is a lot to cover on a ship this size. You can read many reviews and get a different take from a very different perspective based on each individual's expectations. I will try to be brief and honest. We had a great time! I was however, quite disappointed in the WOW of entering the ship. I felt that entering a hallway on deck 4 was lame. I was hoping to enter in the middle of the Royal Promanade, but that is not the case. We were traveling with several people who had never cruised before and I think it was a let down...at least until they walked the Promanade. The service was outstanding for us. Each employee really held a high standard in every interaction we had with them. The food was wonderful! Our waiters were just unbelievable! They remembered us and welcomed us each night! The MDR is a beautiful venue! We ate there every night and we were never disappointed. I did have some minor.....more personal let downs. Again, minor and my personal preference. There were no limes...I guess a shortage or something. Each bar specializes in drinks. It was difficult to get a drink in one bar and have it duplicated in another. They would look at you and tell you they can't make those. A Mojito is a classic example. The saving of deck chairs is totally crazy on this ship! I watched it happen over and over, all day long! If I could offer a suggestion on how to fix it, I would. I don't know the solution. We actually left our towels on the deck chairs around 1:00p.m. after being there since 10:00a.m. to go get a bite to eat. Everyone else did it and so we thought, "why not". When we returned, our seats were taken! I guess if you see a toweled chair and nobody is around....take it!

The music on the pool deck was weak and non-existent. I spent 6 days on this ship and never heard calypso! The Calypso band only played 45 min twice a day on both sea days, during mid afternoon. Nothing before 1:00p.m. There were activities going on in the center part of the pool deck at times throughout the day (hip hop aerobics, etc) so that is what you heard. It stinks to be laying there, floating on the Caribbean ocean, enjoying the view...only to hear the same voice yelling...."to the left - three four, to the right - one two! Touch your toes and two!" I personally think those things should be held somewhere else. At least put a band or some relaxing music of some sort in the Solarium! There was no music playing in the Solarium at all! Last beef with deck 12. The running track! They put it right there, so people are trying to run, most are walking. It was crazy! Not ideal at all. There are NO dance venues on this ship, except for the Labyrinth disco which is techo/teen dancing. There was a live classic rock band where you could dance in the Pyramid lounge. That is just awkward trying to dance to "Hotel California". No jazz lounge per se, or places where you could swing dance! The nightly main shows were decent. The juggler was fantastic. We walked out of the comedian. He knew only one word and it starts with an "F'! It is needless to say...not funny! The 70's parade was great! Our excursions were cancelled in Labadee and the ship immediately credited our account. That was very much appreciated. Dennis in the Campaign lounge was a pleasure. I love the freedom class, but would probably go back to the Oasis class. I just liked the availability of more things to do. There were times on this ship where we actually didn't have something we wanted to do. That is not always a bad thing, but just surprising for us overall.

Our cabin was room 8410 on the very back of the ship. We loved it! There was a pullman bed that came down from the ceiling for our son who was traveling with us. It was totally adequate. The view from our balcony was priceless. We spent way more time there then previous cruises. The room was very quite and very comfortable.

Debarkation was smooth and overall what we expected. We really did enjoy this ship. It was very clean and very nicely done. We had very rough seas toward the end of the cruise and we could really feel the waves. I started seeing the wrist bands come out. However, it still was not so rough that we were sick. Two in our party did the ship tour for $150. It was almost 4 hours and they loved it! We did the Zip Line in Jamaica and it was fantastic. A little more intense than what I had expected, but fun none the less. The drive to Rosehill is very interesting. I know I complained a little, but that was just my personal complaints, not really a negative against Royal Caribbean. The ship and crew is fantastic. The ports were great. We will be back!

Publication Date: 04/07/14