Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by GeriC

Norwegian Breakaway
Norwegian Breakaway
Member Name: GeriC
Cruise Date: March 2014
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bahamas
See More About: Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+

Breakaway Great Ship

Background - Received a cruise Certificate from the Taj Mahal in Atlantic City. There was many choices to choose from. I chose the Breakaway sailing from NYC as I live in NJ and it was very convenient location wise. I have not cruised since 2004 have been sticking to land vacations but thought I would try it out since it was a "Compted Cruise" My husband has his own business and as he would say "He rather stick pins in his eyes than take a Cruise" lol he is a work alcoholic and for him to be without phone service for a full 7 days would kill him so I asked my sister in law who I know has done several cruises over the past few years and knew she loved them. We booked an M6 cabin originally on 3/30 for the 2 of us after upgrading from a inside cabin comp. After about a month decided to push the date up to March 23 but the price for the M6 went up considerably so we chose a BB Balcony Midship cabin. Several weeks later i saw my 25 year old niece who I asked if she might want to come with us she said YES YES so now there were 3 of us. After watching pricing i saw the B9 Spa Balcony price went down and was able to upgrade us all for only $180 we were in 14724 (great location) and having spa access was fantastic especially since the weather wasn't all that great as it turned out. So now the countdown was on. We had 3 women in our cabin and it was a little tight but nothing that would damper our fun time. My SIL slept on the couch which she had asked for an egg crate to help with comfort she said it was ok but not the most comfy sleep she ever had. There was plenty of storage for 3 women who all over packed.

We arrived at the pier about 9:45 and my niece is slightly handicapped and we felt she needed a wheelchair to board. we inquired about it and was told to give her name and have a seat and they would call us for check-in and boarding around 11:15. They called us around 11:05 and we went directly to check-in. I gave my debit card and for anyone who says this is a problem they are nuts I had NO problem using this they never put a hold on it although they said they were putting $300 hold on it I checked my bank and there was no hold. Not that it would have mattered. As soon as we arrived at the wheelchair holding area we were there 3 minutes and they said ok lets go. We were the first passengers to board the ship. We were taken directly to our cabin which was ready. Dropped off our carryons and went to Savor for lunch I had chicken soup and penne pasta with shrimp which was good. My SIL had Salmon which was ok she said it was plain. I don't remember what my niece had but i know she was happy with what she had. By the time we finished lunch and went back to our cabin our bags were already there boy talk about quick it was about 12:30 and we were all set. Muster Drill was a breeze 2:30 and bam it was done and we sailed right on time @ 3:00.

The first night we went to the Manhattan room. I thought it was lobster night but Nope No lobster. I heard it was the 2nd night in the Buffet. Beautiful Dining Room service was great I had Sirloin which I must say was AMAZING I don't know who says the food is not good in the MDRs but I personally thought it was all great and so was the service. That evening we went to the Casino which I did quite often. Won some gave some back. Loved the machines and they had my very favorite which was 4 card keno.

The 2nd Day was our M&G @ 11:00 in Luciciana. We met the most friendly people in there. Art who organized it and his wife Wendy and son Brian I had felt like I knew them for years. We ended up dining with them a couple of times and playing in the casino with them. Also Steve and his wife (Pepsi Guy). We also had a slot pull which was so much fun we had 14 people and we all put in $15 each and played on the wheel of fortune $1 machine no big win but well worth my $15. Went to the Spa in the afternoon which was so relaxing. Very happy we got this. Had dinner in OSheehans as it was Prime Rib night Yummy!!! Again I played in the Casino and we went to Burn the floor but got there a little late and no seats were available. The CD Dan was able to get a chair for my niece to sit in the back which she did. I decided to go back to my favorite place....the casino and passed on staying. Went to bed by 10:30 exhausted.

The next day was Port Canaveral. I am not one to ask about ports because I never got off this ship. I booked a stone massage which was the special of the day 50 minutes for $119 plus gratuity total $140. Then spent more time in the Spa. We again went to the Manhattan Room for dinner. I had Pot Roast which again was delicious. I also got soup and salad every night which I really enjoyed I think that night was cream of mushroom soup - OUT OF THIS WORLD GOOD!!! I was so full most nights and passed on deserts but my niece loved every one of them.

We skipped the private island because of rough seas and wind prohibiting us from using the tender boats so off to Nassau we went arriving @ 6:00 pm. Again I never got off the ship I used the spa again for reading and relaxing my SIL and niece did get off and went on the glass bottom boat which they enjoyed and did some shopping. We went to Teppanyaki which OMG was so great we all had Jumbo Shrimp and Filet Mignon. Terrific meal. Again the casino at night (oh my hubby gonna kill me lol).

The following day was more of the same.....Spa, Casino. We had dinner with Art and Wendy and Brian in the Manhattan room had some laughs and great food again Chateaubriand which was like butter. I had way to much beef on this trip but it all just looked so good. We went to see Second City in Headliners. The chairs were VERY uncomfortable and i had a guy with the biggest head in front of me I could not see a thing. I didnt find it to funny and left half way through.

The next day back to spa and what a surprise the casino. Had dinner in Cagneys this was also very good our waiter could have been better never asked if we wanted anything else. Art and Wendys waiter was much better they said he asked them if they wanted more appetizers, etc. We didn't get asked at all.

The last day was crappy weather. Rain. Who wants to guess what I did today? lol Yep Spa and Casino. We had dinner again with Art, Wendy, Brian, Steve and Mary. Again more beef. I will be eating chicken for the next 6 months to make up for this trip.

All in all the Breakaway is beautiful. The service i found great except for our last night in the Manhattan room....Art can vouch for this it took 20 minutes to get a cup of coffee other than this night we had no problems. I guess it all depends on your waiter. We also ate breakfast and lunch several times in the buffet and OSheehans which was very good a buffet is a buffet take it or leave it. We played bingo one day and deal or no deal another. Would I take another cruise? Probably. Would I go again without my husband? Probably Not.....Never realized how attached I am to him. When I told my SIL i really missed him she said why wouldn't you he treats you like a queen. Which I realize after 29 years of marriage he really does. One thing though If I do ever cruise again I would not do March or any winter cruise out of NY again. Weather is to iffy.

Oh forgot to mention we saw Rock of Ages LOVED LOVED LOVED it.

Publication Date: 04/07/14