Serenade of the Seas Cruise Review by Sputnam427: Good ship and crew - Not enough port time

Sputnam427
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Serenade of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Good ship and crew - Not enough port time

Sail Date: March 2014
Embarkation: New Orleans

Serenade of the Seas is a nice ship. The entertainment, food, crew, etc were all good. We tried three of the pay restaurants and liked them all. Our favorite was Giovanni's Table. Service and food were great. Chops was also very good. Rita's Cantina was a good lunch option to change up buffet eating. Also very inexpensive. Ten of us ate for about $30.

I highly recommend the drink packages. I chose the ultimate because it included all drinks, special coffees and bottled water. I don't know that we saved any money but the removed hassle of signing receipts and worrying about what your bill was up to every day was a very nice feature.

The entertainment was headed up by a husband wife team and they were really great. Very obvious that they both had a passion for there jobs. The broadway style shows were excellent but I would have to say the unicycle juggler was my favorite. What an incredible act.

Some negative to consider... if you don't care to be stuck on a More ship 95% of the trip, you may consider another itinerary. You only get two half day stops in Key West and the Bahamas. We unfortunately discovered during the cruise that the full day stop in CocoCay is canceled frequently. It was canceled on our trip and on a very nice day. I can't imagine you can often get a better day but regardless it wasn't good enough. We had all gotten up early, finished breakfast and were eagerly awaiting our disembarkation to the island. Instead the ship sailed past the island without pause. About 30 minutes later the Captain nonchalantly announced the stop was canceled in a way that indicated this was common practice. Our teenagers were very disappointed as this was to be our only beach day. My concern at the moment was we were just one sailing day from New Orleans and had 3 days to get there. Two half day port stops is not enough (for our group) for a 7 day cruise. RCCL should have a better contingency plan than cutting donuts in the Gulf of Mexico for 3 days. I would think there has to be a port somewhere that would love to host 2500 folks itching to get off a ship and spend some cash. Less

Read more Serenade of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Serenade of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Serenade of the Seas 9624

The cabin was plenty big and very nice. Also, enjoyed the large balcony. Our cabin stewards were excellent and we looked forward to seeing them every day. The towel animals got more imaginative every day! Really the only negative was that we didn't have bath robes as we did on all of our Carnival Cruises.

We unfortunately discovered during our cruise that the full day stop in CocoCay is canceled frequently. It was canceled on our trip and on a very nice day. I can't imagine you can often get a better day but regardless it wasn't good enough. We had all gotten up early, finished breakfast and were eagerly awaiting our disembarkation to the island. Instead the ship sailed past the island without pause. About 30 minutes later the Captain nonchalantly announced the stop was canceled in a way that indicated this was common practice. Our teenagers were very disappointed as this was to be our only beach day.

Read 231 CocoCay Reviews

Key West is a wonderful port. Walking down Duvall St is an experience in itself. Sloppy Joe's was fun and the food was excellent. Garbo's Taco stand has some of the best fish tacos and most delicious grilled grouper you will eat anywhere. Run by two ladies and they could be executive chefs anywhere else but they choose their little taco stand. Can't say I blame them. Another must do is Earnest Hemingway's home tour. Very interesting fellow.

Read 734 Key West Reviews

(5.5)

Always enjoy the Bahamas and it's charming people. Teenagers wanted to do the Atlantis water park excursion but with our late port arrival is didn't make since. We made some deals at the straw market and then moved on to Senor Frogs which was a blast! Next we moved on to dinner at The Poop Deck. Just a wonderful restaurant! You pic out your snapper and they cook it for you. No better food in the Caribbean than right there and I have been around. The ship left at about 11:30PM and no one was ready to go. Would have loved an extra day here!!

Read 2629 Nassau Reviews