Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review by Niche79: It was ok, but nothing WOW about this RCL cruise. B- score.

Niche79
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Jewel of the Seas Southern Caribbean Cruises

It was ok, but nothing WOW about this RCL cruise. B- score.

Sail Date: March 2014
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

We just got off of this cruise yesterday. We thought it was ok but nothing great. Below I will show some examples of why the cruise itself was not up to the WOW example RCL sets out for itself.

Security: Day 1 I was missing my bags till 10pm. We went to security saying did you see our bags, They flagged it because it had a steamer in it. They went on and on saying it was an iron and NOT a steamer which it clearly said it was on the side. We have taken this steamer on 12 cruises now and not stopped once. They wouldn't budge with us. We went to Guest services and threatened to pull our credit for our next cruise in May if they didn't at least pay for our cleaning bill, they gave in and covered it thankfully! From then on out we didn't pay the security any attention. However they sure paid us attention and here is why. I was walking off of the ship eating a bagel that was halfway done, they told me to stop and throw it away. I was like uhh its a bagel and so I threw it all the More way across the room and hit the trash just to be like wow, its not fruit! Oh btw we had fruit uneaten in our bags they didn't even check...../facepalm. Another time they give you water as you get on the ship, so we grabbed it and walked 10 ft to go on the ship and security told us to throw it out!!! so I just dropped it on the ground and kept on. Pointless!!! it was THEIR water and glass...uggh. They kept on us all week checking our RCL paid for soda cup and bags. Empty and kept telling us to let them see it.

Food: Was just boring most of the time. We get better food by far on Celebrity and Carnival cruises. The Windjammer was just plain half of the time because it was the same food for the most part. The last night my wife didn't even have anything but fruit because she couldn't find anything and was hungry. OH yah, because we didn't have a steamer , we only went to 1 night of the dining room because it wasn't worth going with wrinkled clothes. Besides, the one night we did go, it was just boring and I asked for something else.

The rest of the cruise was pretty good all in all but this was in no way one of the RCL cruise ships that they should be proud of! Id put Carnival above RCL after this cruise which is not saying a lot when Carnival is always known as the cheaper cruise but in so many ways it was head and shoulders better! Were taking anther RCL cruise in May and will give them one more shot!

Sorry about this rant but the quality needs to be put out there that this ship could go in for a full review by management in RCL!!! Less

Read more Jewel of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Jewel of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Jewel of the Seas 8564

The cabin was ok but very small and cramped for a balcony cabin. We were always tripping over eachother and in the shower was a pain. The balcony needs chairs that can lay back so you can relax on it. Other lines have the sit up chairs with at least one that will fold down and RCL needs to add this to it. Other than that, it was a decent room.