Celebrity Century Cruise Review by DancinFool: Phenomenal Entertainment - Outstanding Cruise Director and Activities

DancinFool
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Celebrity Century Panama Canal & Central America Cruises

Phenomenal Entertainment - Outstanding Cruise Director and Activities

Sail Date: March 2014
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America

There are plenty of reasons to take a cruise vacation - my husband and I love it for the following:

1) We don't like to plan vacations

2) We enjoy lots of activities like the cruise ships offer

3) We love the shows

4) We love to dance

As far as these four criteria are concerned this trip exceeded our expectations on every level.

We had not been on a cruise for about seven years. We will be cruising frequently after this. In fact, we just booked another one for October.

Now then: We adored the Cruise Director on our ship, Rich Clesen. His personality was perfect for the job - his background in comedy was apparent and appreciated. He stood out in the game show the Newlyweds, and as a judge in the "Everybody Dance" competition. Likewise the Activities Director Jane (sorry I can't find anything with her last name). Jane's from Australia and was a wonderful Activities Director. We loved participating with her in the Thriller More Flash Mob - which turned into a bit more of a surprise performance than a flash mob but was loads of fun. We found the activities satisfyingly diverse and abundant to keep us happily busy. (We are not deck chair loungers).

But: speaking of deck chair loungers. Although I'm not one to bake in the sun religiously, there were a couple of times that I wanted to sit for a short while, in the shade on the deck 11 (where the pool and other action was) and was unable to due to the fact that ALL the deck chairs that were suitable (i.e. in the shade) were covered by some small personal item that marked it: sunglasses, crossword puzzle book. I asked the Pool butler and was told that they are told not to remove items if a hat or sunglasses or other personal item were on the chair. I never got my moment in the shade on the primary deck. Instead I looked at rows and rows of empty deck chairs that were earmarked and therefore "saved" for what - all day - all week - the entire cruise. Actually, no, all chairs somehow were cleared out early in the evening. At this point, it was usually dark and I had no need for a chair.

The food in the MDR was very good on the whole with a few hits and misses. One meal that stood out as one to avoid included a particularly "chewy" veal cordon bleu that was heavily breaded and so tough that it could not be easily cut even with a sharp knife that was provided. Another couple of fish dishes were particularly dry, perhaps from overcooking and lack of a compensating sauce. On the other hand, there were numerous choices each night and one could almost always find one to suit. Waiters were very attentive, even if you didn't ask, and watched to make sure you were enjoying your food, and if not swooped in to offer alternatives.

Entertainment: The entertainment on this ship far surpassed our expectations. Whether it was the musicians that played the various lounges or the professional dancers that were in the productions, or the comedians, or ventriloquists, violinists, every act was top notch. Lot of entertainment options, and lots of entertainment!

Shore excursions: We only booked one Celebrity sponsored excursion, in Puerta Vallarta. It was a Pacific Train/Bus/Boat trip that included, as well as the crocodile boat trip - a train trip through the jungle. The train broke down towards the end of the trip and we had to be rescued by our bus - but it was done expediently.

Excursions note: I know some folks probably feel comfortable taking the ship sponsored excursions but they certainly are pricey! My husband speaks Spanish, and since all our ports were in Spanish speaking countries we did very well with him arranging our excursions at a fraction of the cost of the ship sponsored tours. He's good at this, and all the drivers he talked to wanted more money at first than we ended up paying (so: it pays to haggle). Still, even if you are not a Spanish speaker, English is so well spoken among the locals that make their living as tour guides and taxi drivers one could do well on their own even without speaking Spanish.

Embarkation: We booked Fairfield Inn & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port. We were sailing out of "Fort Lauderdale" which turned out to mean "Port Everglades." We easily enough booked a van to take us to the ship. We thought, however, that a hotel with the words "Cruise Port" in it's name would be really close, like a couple of miles. It was 30-45 minute drive to arrive at the port, and a bit of a wait before we were allowed to enter the terminal and begin the process of checking in. I recommend you allow yourself sufficient time for this trip and for the lengthy check-in process where you will be waiting. I did notice a separate line for Captains Club (I'm not sure if it was at our level or not). At any rate, once I got in this line the process was pretty fast and it cut out a lot of waiting.

Disembarkation: We were scheduled to disembark at 9:30 (which they tell you is an estimate). It was closer to 10:45 when we finally got through customs. Really allow yourself plenty of time and don't book an early flight. Less

Read more Celebrity Century cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Century Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Century 1054

This stateroom, though of course not roomy was sufficient for our needs. We were constantly in motion, and did not need to spend much time in the stateroom, other than occasionally to take a breather before the next fun activity, show or meal and of course to sleep at the end of the day. There was tons of storage in our tiny room so we were fine with the 15 days of luggage, outfits, etc.Service was adequate. Our room was serviced daily, obviously, and some attention to our needs was made. I had a cold (which I caught on board) and used us a box of kleenex. I noticed it was promptly replaced and extras stowed. Friends sailing in higher classes raved about their butlers, and cabin attendants, and I do feel we got a different level of service in our inside cabin. No complaints, just nothing stood out. And: not that it's essential, but we only had one half-hearted attempt at a towel sculpture (animal) on one evening. Others (at our table) raved about their animals, and the creativity.We attended a party in a friends suite - and I don't know what they paid. The suite was roomy - that is it was comparable to the size of a regular, non-suite hotel room and it had a roomy private deck - room for at least four or five on the deck. Nice - and they said their service was exceptional.