Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by APDMOM: Great balcony on Indy!

APDMOM
Member Since 2009
3,106 Posts

Compare Prices on Independence of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Great balcony on Indy!

Sail Date: March 2014

We just returned from a great time on Indy, visiting the Eastern Caribbean. This is our 14th cruise, and they just keep getting better! We parked our car at Park'n Go, after pre-paying for a discounted internet rate. We were at the parking lot around 10:30, and on the ship by 11:30. Since we were early, the Windjammer was still relatively quiet, so we grabbed lunch there. If you board later, I recommend trying the Promenade Café or Sorrento's instead.

Overall, we had a great cruise. I did miss some of the entertainment options from Freedom of the Seas, but Indy had the band "Rock the Boat", which made up for the missing Dreamworks parade. The shows that stood out as great, were the ice show (Strings), the Ventriloquist (Michael Harrison), and the illusionist (Scott Alexander). The Royal Caribbean singers and dancers were a disappointment. They were much better on Freedom of the Seas.

Our favorite foods included grilled wahoo, lamb stew, roasted sweet potato More soup, artichoke crepes, and room services chips & dip. My favorite snack was the R&R bar from the promenade café.

The ports are all great! We had been to St Kitts and St Maarten before. I would recommend a tour in St Kitts - it is a beautiful island. In St. Maarten, just take the water taxi for lots of beach and shopping options, or book a tour to Marigot. For San Juan, print out a map before you leave home. The ones they provide at the port are not detailed enough. There is a free trolley on the island, so you can easily tour Old San Juan on your own. Labadee is just beautiful! Go to Adrenaline beach - it is a sandy beach, and less crowded. If you are looking for shade, it is not really necessary to book a cabana. At each beach, I was able to find an empty lounger under the palm trees.

For the Compass of the Eastern Itinerary, Adventure Ocean (kids) Programs, many pictures, and tips about the ship, please visit my picture review at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2014636 Less

Read more Independence of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Independence of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Independence of the Seas 7708

If you can afford it, I highly recommend cabin 7708 (or 7408). The balcony is about 195 square feet in size, and a dream! Although it says it has an obstructed view, you can see much more than on a regular balcony. It comes with 2 loungers and 2 chairs, and is one of the cheapest balconies on the Freedom class ships. The inside of the cabin is the same size as other balcony cabins. For pictures of this balcony, see my review at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2014636