Carnival Freedom Cruise Review by Flo-Rid-A: 8 Day Southern Caribbean Aruba, Curacao, Dominican Republic, & Grand T

Flo-Rid-A
Member Since 2014

Entertainment Not Rated
Service Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Freedom Southern Caribbean Cruises

8 Day Southern Caribbean Aruba, Curacao, Dominican Republic, & Grand T

Sail Date: March 2014
Destination: Southern Caribbean

This makes our 4th Carnival cruise (Miracle, Victory, Dream, and Freedom). Since our last 2 cruises were on were on R.C.'s Allure and Oasis ships (loved these ships) it was challenging not to compare the Freedom to our RC experiences.

Lido Deck: buffet food is buffet food ... if you choose to eat buffet don't complain. They had a wide variety of choices every day (hot dogs/hamburgers, Mongolian Wok, Deli etc). They also have an omelet station every morning as well.

Pizza (Lido Deck by the adult pool): I enjoyed the pizza a lot especially when it was hot.

We did any time dining in the Chic restaurant. I have no complaints in regard to quality and quantity of the food. As always the restaurant staff were very professional and went out of their way to provide quality service.

Posh Restaurant: we did breakfast and bunch here 3 times and enjoyed each meal.

Sun King Steak House: was worth the money in our opinion. I had the filet (rare to medium More rare) and the quality rivaled what I was served at Eddie Merlot's in Louisville KY.

Casino: we did spend time in the Casino. Carnival should really find a way to create a better non-smoking area for those of us who enjoy playing table games but who do not smoke. Carnival does have non smoking tables, but the slots around those tables are smoking. Also, smokers can be quite rude. Some want to stand behind you watching the table action with a lit cigarette. While Carnival posted a sign stating that smoking was prohibited if you weren't playing slots or seated at a smoking table, very few people read the signs.

Also, the bar in the Casino has small no smoking signs around the bar, but nobody paid any attention to them. Unfortunately one could smell the Casino the minute you hit the stairs on the 6th floor.

Adult Pool: I was amazed, that only 1 person in 8 days brought a child into the pool. Once the no-one under 18 sign was pointed out to her, she apologized and got out of the pool.

Overall we had a great cruise. Since we are not ones to use the lounges and disco areas I cannot comment on those. Also, we weren't interested in the shows so again no comment on those. Less

Read more Carnival Freedom cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Freedom Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Freedom Balcony Upper 6425

Compared to the Allure and Oasis, our cabin was larger with a lot more storage space. Our only complaints were 1) there was a calcium ring in the toilet and 2) the top of the desk and beside tables were covered with a thick layer of dust. We wondered if the room had been recently occupied. Regardless, I had some chlorox wipes and did my own cleaning (to inlcude all door/drawer knobs). Otherwise the steward and staff did a great job of keeping our room tidy and clean during our cruise.My big complaint on the rooms again centers around the smokers: we pay extra dollars for the balcony rooms yet we have smokers next door who always seemed to be outside smoking. The smoke wafts over to our balcony. We don't smoke and the odor often forced us back inside our cabin (especially when both occupants started smoking). It would be nice if Carnival could designate certains sections of cabins as non-smoking.