Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by Podie: Still Love the Equinox!

Podie
Member Since 2007
1,876 Posts

Compare Prices on Celebrity Equinox Panama Canal & Central America Cruises

Still Love the Equinox!

Sail Date: March 2014
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America

We did a Med cruise on Equinox when she was brand new and she still looks great. Unfortunately the embarkation went very slowly as only a few agents were checking us in. We stood in line for an hour but then got on board quickly. And is there anything nicer than free champagne and mimosas to welcome you on board? We had planned on going to lunch at Bistro on 5, but the buffet was scrumptious so we stayed there. The free classic drink package really spoiled me as I had a drink and a cappuccino with my lunch for free. The cabins were ready by 1 and I was very pleased with my partially obstructed balcony as it was only obstructed if I looked down. The cabin was very nice and our steward, Antonio, was great. Before our late seating each night, we visited the Molecular Bar or Martini Bar. Depending on where we sat, the piped in techno music at the Martini Bar was usually too loud for us to have conversation. Why do they do that? We took full advantage of the wonderful coffee, tea, and More pastries at Cafe il Bacio - at all hours - and often sprung for an excellent gelato as well. We usually hit the buffet for salad at 6 to hold us over till late dinner, which ran to 10 pm. The food in the MDR was so wonderful - and our servers, Ioanna and Kristijan were so great - we never felt the need to go anywhere else although we did have one meal at Bistro on 5, which was good. Another thing we continue to love is how Celebrity has cold cloths and drinks available when you return to the ship. So nice! My only other complaint (that was Celebrity's fault) was the only ship's excursion we did, snorkeling in Belize, which was not as advertised and we were packed in like cattle. When we disembarked, it took more than 2 hours to get through Customs because there were 6 LINES for 2800 passengers. They told us Customs had recently laid off hundreds of employees. Less

Read more Celebrity Equinox cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Equinox Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Equinox 6256

The cabin was wonderful. It was onstructed by a lifeboat if we looked down but I felt safer with it there! The balcony itself had 2 lounge chairs and a table big enough to eat a full meal on it.

Snorkeling

(1)

We were supposed to be on a catamaran drinking a rum punch. But we were picked up 30 minutes late and jammed like sardines onto an old snorkeling boat. The guides and the equipment were good, but the reef was beat-up with little fish. I have been to Belize before and know there are much better reefs than this!

City Tour

Our tour with Dora was wonderful. It is a beautiful city and we enjoyed walking around the Old City. We also shopped for emerald earrings and I bought two pairs which were half the price of the same thing in Florida.

This was a very depressing port. We did not want to do an organized tour and thought we'd spend an hour shopping. I had read there was better shopping at the Colon Cristobal port (we were at Colon 2000) so we took a taxi ($20 round trip) through the dirtiest, poorest city I have ever seen. When we got there the guard told us the pier was closed and there were no shops. So we returned to the little shopping area at our port, which was okay but also depressing.

Nachi Cocom Beach Club

What a wonderful final port visit! The $55 per person for Nachi Cocum was a great deal. Our waiter introduced himself when we arrived and kept those included food and drinks coming! Lovely beach, great pool, can't wait to come back!

There were 5 ships anchored off Grand Cayman, so I had contacted Sunset House, a scuba divers' hotel, and asked if the four of us could hang out at thair pool and bar. They said sure, so we left the tender, turned right, and walked about a mile to Sunset House. We hung out at the outdoor restaurant/bar, used the pool, swam and snorkeled. It was great!

Sloth Sanctuary

The sloth sanctuary was the highlight of the tour. The first stops, at the fruit stand and banana plantation, were boring. The ride on the canals was only a little better. But the sloths and the volunteers at the sanctuary were just amazing!