Celebrity Millennium Cruise Review by Skyoz: Millennium meltdown

Millennium meltdown

Sail Date: March 2014
Destination: Asia
Embarkation: Singapore

Just disembarked Celebrity Millennium after a 14 day Northbound Asian Allure cruise.

On arriving at the very upmarket Singapore Marina Bay terminal for our departure, we were informed that there would be a significant delay in boarding the vessel due to there being a gastro intestinal outbreak on the previous cruise with 200 people becoming ill. The vessel was being "disinfected" thoroughly as a pre-caution, the boarding process was therefore chaotic and abysmally handled. No one was able to access their staterooms until 4.00pm, the cruise Director "Steve" announced that everyone could access the bars and restaurants whilst waiting for their accommodation to become available, which was not too much of an inconvenience as we had arrived in Singapore the previous day and were well rested, however, they had the audacity to charge people for drinks, during this period of inconvenience, we were soon to realise that this cruise line is all about "added costs". We have travelled More extensively on Seabourn and more recently sailed on the new Royal Princess in Europe, a far better cruise experience.

As we were making our way to our stateroom Deck 7 (7201) I passed a corridor where luggage had been "thrown" into a heap outside the elevators awaiting delivery to their respective owners only to be confronted by a male room attendant who tried to stop me from taking a photograph of this, by pushing me out of the view, however, I did take a photo and it is posted on here. The following day we happened to pass the Cabin supervisor who made a comment in broken English " hmm you are the trouble makers" , I ignored her remark and subsequently made an appointment to meet with the Hotel Director, who explained that she should never have made that remark and was very apologetic.

This is our introduction to Celebrity cruises!!

ROOM SERVICE

Having had room service on previous cruise lines, and were pleased mostly with it, we decided to have breakfast the following morning in our stateroom on our balcony ( which is enormous). It was the worst presentation of food and beverage that I have ever seen, a dried green mess greeted me as I lifted the lid on the scrambled eggs with dried and cold toast and cold coffee, the worst instant concoction imaginable.

The same was true for my families meals, we were not able to eat any of it and I made a complaint with the Room service Manager, who in his defence contacted us the following morning to apologise ,and to give us his assurance that this was just some sort of "one off" situation, we never had room service again.

ACCOMMODATION

A family veranda suite at the rear of the vessel , stateroom 7201, a very large and for the most part a comfortable place to rest your head. My brother slept on a very uncomfortable pull out sofa bed that was so bad he changed to the very slim sofa bed on the other side of the room which he said was much more comfortable. My twin beds which had been joined to form one bed was very comfortable and my partner and I slept very well. The interiors of this vessel which have been refurbished look fantastic at night, with intimate bars and restaurants, the exterior is rusted,dirty and in need of some serious repair, i e. Hand rails, glass mirrors and doors . All of the outdoor furniture was stained and "ash" or the remnants of burning oil from the ships engines provided us with a daily "mop up" with our towels ( from the pool), which we're also stained and thin.( photos of this accommodation are attached)

RESTAURANTS

The main dining restaurant (Metropolitan) is on two levels with the lower level reserved for the "fixed hour" dining 6pm 830pm, we had opted for the flexible "Select" dining( 6pm - 9.30pm) and were accommodated on the upper level. The food was sometimes good, sometimes not so good, and sometimes terrible, it was never consistent. We had purchased beverage and specialty dining packages prior to arriving on the ship as well as the prepaid gratuities which is a condition of "select" dining, no problem with this, as it was prepaid when the payment for the cruise was made. My first glass of wine which was poured from an excellent bottle of Cabernet was spilt over a brand new shirt, this was to happen twice more, when I finally told the same wine waitress to just open the bottle and leave it on the table, when this was brought to the attention of the "Head waitress" she passed by at some point and pushed a folded up card for a "complimentary" launder under my side plate and said, here you go Mr........and walked off without even making eye contact, this card was left on the table and was never utilised.

It was very rare to pass a member of the restaurant staff and receive a smile and some sort of greeting, only once can I remember that we received any eye contact and that was followed by a "grunt" .

The QSine restaurant on Deck 11 dubbed "uniquely unordinary" lived up to its reputation with upside hanging table lamps and iPads to order the "experience" from, small plates and bites which are shared by the table, these were all delicious and interesting, you can order as much or as little as your appetite desires. It was my brothers birthday that evening so a cake was provided accompanied by the staff singing Happy Birthday. This restaurant carries a surcharge of US$45 per person. This restaurant was never full and under patronised, uniformed staff from the restaurant (in dirty stained uniforms) were always trawling the main "cafeteria buffet restaurant" offering discounts off the US$ price to attract diners.

EXCURSIONS

All excursions were professionally handled and all the tour guides were friendly and informative

OVERALL EXPERIENCE

With most of the passengers either becoming ill or recovering from illness, this was the most disappointing cruise we have ever been on. In 25 years I have NEVER travelled on a vessel that felt unhealthy and a general feeling of unhappiness amongst the passengers. The complaints were constant and evident in every area of this vessel. Less

Read more Celebrity Millennium cruise reviews >>