Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by certnj@aol.com: Splendor Crew was Terrific

Compare Prices on Carnival Splendor Bahamas Cruises

Splendor Crew was Terrific

Sail Date: March 2014
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

I am a Carnival Platinum member and both my wife and I had the pleasure of taking yet another cruise this past week on the Splendor. The arrangements started extremely well with our booking and cruise planner.

We were pleasantly surprised a week prior to the cruise with being offered an upgrade which just made our cruise all the more fun. The price was reasonable, and although I don’t usually spend much time in our stateroom it was an added surprise which both Diane and I welcomed!

Upon boarding we met CAPTAIN CANDELORO DONATO, who was very approachable (most Captains we’ve met through the years are great on Carnival) and extremely friendly. It gives the guests a good sense of confidence when you can meet the person whose lives you’ve entrusted for your vacation week. He was sincerely happy to greet us and all the guests nearby.

The stateroom, (# 1073) as always, was clean and attended to most capably by our steward MUSTICA, he was there at More every turn and always had our stateroom in tip top shape, provided the extra ice that I like and always had a smile.

Dining was also extremely pleasant; we think we had the best dining team onboard! Our team of JOE, HAROLD & MONALISA took really good care of us. Everyone at our table (Golden Pearl Dining Room, Early seating table 432) had great fun with them and although extremely busy never missed an opportunity to joke back and smile. The food was consistently prepared the way we liked it and with ample selections to choose from. This team is a credit to the Carnival line. They knew on the first day all of our names (table of ten) and made us all feel like we were right at home in our favorite restaurants!

The cruise director MALCOLM BURN, whom we had cruised with before was his usually witty and high energy self, however, he might have been outdone on this trip by his staff --- BANKS, SHANE and FLUFFY gave him a good run for the money in the entertainment and energy department !!! They were amazing, as was the Splendor Band/Orchestra who deserves recognition as well as several of the entertainers. KEITH, the soloist was real fun to be with and in fact joined us for pizza on the lido deck for several occasions. He was really fun to talk to and obviously loved entertaining everyone. His repartee’ with the audience was just so sharp and witty. We had a lot of fun with KEITH and always looked forward to spending time in the lounge when he was there.

The comedians were funny. FLUFFY owned the room and made no doubt about it that you WILL be entertained. She did a great job all around from introductions, to group participation bits, to making sure everyone had a drink and a laugh. She was terrific! Kudo’s go out to THOMAS BROWN, DERRICK EASON & HANK McGAULY, all seasoned professional and entertaining comics. They did an amazing job of getting laughs and audience banter all together in one performance after another to keep us laughing!

The shows were really another part of the fun-ship experience and I had the opportunity to meet one of the dancers FERNANDA, at the coffee bar and had fun with her the rest of the cruise. She made you feel like an old friend and really was extremely personable. FERNANDA could be the “face of the fun ship” with her beaming smile both on stage and off !

TODD EVANS and JANAE LONGO were terrific. I wished that there was a meet and greet so that we could have gotten to talk with them. The shows were a lightening fast shotgun of song, after song and dance and a virtual marathon of energy, all at full blast.

At the excursion desk we met JACK McCAUGHERTY, and booked a trip to Balmoral Island. There was a snafu at the dock and was not enough room on the boat to get us to the island. JACK promptly handled this by making sure another boat picked us up promptly and with the short wait arranged for us to receive a credit. For a young man he should be complimented on his take-charge attitude. On the way back from the island to the port, another boat with Carnival passengers broke down in the channel, once again JACK called on the radio to be sure that arrangements were made for another replacement boat to assist. He was extremely capable and mature in his actions and deserves notice on his professionalism. It inspires confidence in the passengers (customers) when they see this type of action taken by the crew.

At the service desk we met KATALIN, she was always, and we mean ALWAYS smiling and attentive. Even when there may have been a line down the hall (usually with small problems) she tackled the job with a smile and a very disarming manner. She too is a credit to the ship and to Carnival.

Last but not least, was our final day at sea where I took JACK McCAUGHERTY’s advice and booked the “Behind the Fun Tour”. It was a great experience and I cannot give enough high praise to SONIA from the training department who took us on the tour. Without knowing all the “surprises” that they had for us (pictures delivered at dinner, chocolate strawberries awaiting us in the room, exclusive backpacks and lanyards) the tour in and of itself was really an experience. All the surprises just made it better. SONIA was a charmer and you can see she really loved her job and Carnival.

All that said, our cruise was just what we expected from Carnival and just what we needed for our vacation. That being said, we are looking forward to our fall cruise where we already have ten of our family and friends going with us and plan this summer on convincing another eight or ten to come along.

I know this letter was lengthy, but being in law enforcement and public life for forty years has shown me that it’s all to easy for people to complain and so hard to compliment. I know that we always valued to “good job” or “thank you” that we got from the public and I like to do the same when I think people deserve it. I would hope that your staff gets the recognition they deserve, because in my opinion, THEY EARNED IT ! Less

Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>