Sapphire Princess Cruise Review by Yehootu

Cruise Date: February 2014
Embarkation: Los Angeles
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Cabin Number: E729
See More About: Sapphire Princess Cruise Reviews | Mexican Riviera Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

Sapphire 7 Day Mexican Riviera

We sailed on the Sapphire, the week of Feb 15-22. Our crew, I’m 55 Airline pilot, my wife 50 retired Flight Attendant and Mom, 89 soon to be 90. Our first time on Princess, Mom Platinum, now Elite.

Embarkation:

Got to pier at noon, and were told at gate might be some delay in boarding. We were ushered in to priority boarding and never stopped till we reached our rooms.

Rooms:

Mom had E735 aft facing balcony. She has always said when asked where her favorite place in the world is (She has traveled all 7 continents, 50 states and 72 countries) and always answered her home in Hawaii. Now she claims to have a second and that’s room E731. She loved the wake and sound of it. At 90 the noise isn’t that bad.

We had E729 down the hall; we liked the covered mini with the bathtub.

Rooms were ready. Only complaint, no robes till second day and Moms shower stool never arrived despite several calls. Finally quit on day 4.

Good:

We had late dining and that wasn’t going to work. Maiter’d switched us to early dining, same table. Now the Excellent! Loreto our Waiter. We were seated in the very first 4 person table in front of waiter station as you enter the dining room. This man was excellent. He did everything. Called my Mom his American Grandma. On our anniversary he placed the Tanzanite bracelet I had gotten for my wife on her desert tray.

The entertainment was good. Dancers and singer were good. We met Tawny from Canada at the pool and it was fun looking for her. Mom asked if I could spot her and I said not unless she’s in her bikini. The two hip-hop comedians were great. Warning, DO NOT arrive late unless you have thick skin!

Food over all was good. I’m a big fish eater and wasn’t disappointed. One of the best mahi-mahi diners I’ve ever had and I was born and raised in Hawaii. The meat dishes usually were over cooked. Deserts good. Lines at Horizon court moved and food was a good variety.

Had the champagne breakfast on the balcony and thanks to reviews here we changed the menu to eggs benedict. Mom loved it!

Ports: This is Moms 7th Mexico Riviera. Our goal was to go to an opal store in Puerto Vallarta and finish off a bracelet. She had bought a necklace and ring from this store and now wanted the bracelet. She got what she wanted and after several “free” cervesas I bought the wife the anny present. Coco was great. We have apprised things bought from her and have always come out ahead. Her store is on the Princess city tour. That’s how Mom found it the first time.

Cabo, souvenirs and Senior Frogs. Moms unsteady and uses a cane and transport chair, and they did a wonderful job of getting her on board.

Ensenada is Ensenada. Stayed on board to enjoy ship. We enjoy days at sea as we’ve seen a lot of these places.

Bad:

Like I said no shower chair.

Hot tubs not working. I’m rehabbing a shoulder surgery and this killed me. Aft ones warm, but no action. Calypso and Neptune, hit or miss and sorry, but with kids with floaties and pampers DO NOT belong in hot tubs. Lotus pool, one worked, the other cold. That sucked for me.

TVs. We had 2 of them and turn one on, the other goes off. Good Right. Turn one on the other comes on. Bad. Waking wife at 0600 with ESPN song does nothing for a little rendezvous on the covered balcony, if you know what I mean.

Disembarkation;

Wonderful. Had breakfast, 0930 off, walked down to elevator and right off ship.

Very enjoyable time. Loreto made the trip Fantastic for us. If anyone is on the Ship, please say hello to him from the Lady in Red, His American Grandma.

Just booked Island Princess for April 15 day Panama eastbound. Look for the Lady in Red. No aft facing rooms available, we have a Dolphin Mini. We’ll see how we like open deck.

Aloha, Tim