Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by Beaching It

Member Name: Beaching It
Cruise Date: March 2014
Embarkation: Galveston
Destination: Mexican Riviera
See More About: Carnival Triumph Cruise Reviews | Mexican Riviera Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Entertainment 5+

Fun weekend cruise!

We travelled from Canada to Texas to visit a friend. We were on the Carnival Triumph on the 4 night sailing to Cozumel, Mexico March 6-10. I travelled with my good friend, and my 2 kids ages 9&11. It was my 5th cruise and their first cruise. I usually sail Royal Caribbean but chose Carnival because we were visiting Texas and the Triumph sailed out of Galveston.

We went to the cruise port at 11 am and embarkation was super easy, organized and fast. We were touring the ship and eating lunch and it was like no one else was on board. Fantastic! The ship is impressive and my kids were in awe!! The sail away party was great and a lot of fun with great music and fun line dancing at the pool.

The shows onboard were fantastic. The singers and dancers were excellent and we really enjoyed the 2 shows. There was an amazing magician / mentalist on board and we could not believe the accuracy of this guy with random audience participants. Sameer!!

The food was good. We usually ate at the Lido deck buffet and had dinner in the dining room 3 times. We enjoyed being served and the food was really good. They also had a good kids menu. Also Guys Burgers on the Lido deck is fantastic and I had lunch there twice. We also took advantage of the ice cream stations around the ship.

The cruise director is Jen from England and I really liked her. She was very funny and present at all shows and on deck. Her right hand man Gumby was a riot too. We went to the gym a couple of times and took a spin class. That was fantastic! Worth the $12.00.

My only complaints on the ship was the noise in our cabin and the hot tubs. We had 2 balcony rooms on the 6th deck (6736-8) and we were above the disco / bars and across from crew areas. We could hear the beat of the music from below us. Also the balconies had doors that slammed shut which was super annoying. Royal has patio doors. Guests were very loud and inconsiderate late at night in the hallways yelling and slamming doors. The last night I heard banging at 4am and went out in the hall to look. Two crew were moving tables around and yelling. I had to ask them to be quiet. There are 2 hot tubs and a pool on the back of deck 9 and the hot tubs were over run with kids jumping and practically diving in the tubs. Crazy!! I have 2 kids and couldn't imagine allowing them to do that. One couple in the hot tub with me told me that area used to be adult only and they were visibly annoyed by the kids.

Debarkation was delayed due to fog in Galveston. That was fine by us as we were in no rush to get off. We had breakfast in the Lido then hung out on our cabin balcony for a couple of hours to avoid all the stressed out people. When they finally called us, it was a very organized and peaceful process, one I have yet to experience cruising.

I would definitely cruise Carnival again. A few things I really enjoyed was the friendliness of the staff. They asked our names and remembered them. Chocolates on our pillow every night and great towel animals. The kids loved it and I'll be taking them on a 7 night cruise next March.

Publication Date: 04/01/14