Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by Kyle3245

Carnival Splendor
Carnival Splendor
Member Name: Kyle3245
Cruise Date: March 2014
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bahamas
See More About: Carnival Splendor Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals

Spring Break In Bahamas!

Me and my friend Bill and I (Kyle) booked this cruise as a last minute getaway! We were at the cruise the cruise by 11:45 am, and we boarded at about 12:30 pm. Embarkation was a breeze. We checked in, got our zone number and waited for them to call us. When we boarded the ship, we headed up to the Lido deck for lunch. As always, there were many different cuisines to choose from. We found a seat within a minute or two, wasn't too crowded.

Anyways after lunch we headed to our stateroom on the main deck, (2455). This was an interior stateroom, it was spacious enough for the both of us. I booked a guaranteed stateroom because you not beat the price, but anyways, Our stateroom was in the aft of the ship and you could hear the noise from the engines all the time. The engine vibration and noise was very evident when we were pulling in ports. it practically shook my roommate out of bed! Our room steward, Lindon was great!

Day 1: Pulled out of port at about 4:30 pm, right after the Norwegian Gem and started toward the Bahamas. We booked the late seating at dinner. It was ideal because we did not have to rush to get back on board or rush off the pool deck early! I was satisfied with the service, the staff was great! I asked for a lemonade one night and never got it, but that was the least of my worries! The food was good for the most part, always have a wide variety for everyone! Our head waiter was Edwin. The only downside to late dining is getting slower service. I feel that the early seating gets quicker service. They want to get you out of the dining room for the late seating. But, for the most part I had a great time at dinner and it was very easy going.

Day 2: Our first sea day, the waves were rough and it was raining, what a bummer. I walked around and explored the ship to see what it had to offer. The Splendor did not have much to do for people my age. I'm 20. So no drinking for me. There just was not a whole heck of a lot to do. There was music, bingo and trivia, but that was about it. Whatever, I told myself I was on vacation. I relaxed the day away. After dinner some of our table mates went to the casino, I watched them play blackjack. I am not a gambler, oh well. At approximately 11:45pm the cruise director, Malcolm came on the loudspeaker. He advised us of a passenger that had gotten ill on board and that required medical shore side. He said that we would be diverting to Charleston, SC and that we should not be alarmed when we wake up in the morning. It was eerie, the casino went completely quiet. He then came on again about 10 seconds later advising us that the U.S. Coast Guard was going to fly him off the ship in the next hour and a half or so. They closed all the open decks, except for the viewing area above the bridge. The helicopter arrived at about 1:40 am. It was loud! I have never seen something like this done at sea! It was pretty awesome. I took a video and snapped a couple of pictures. They flew the passenger out at about 2:30 am. My prayers go out to the family of the ill. The next morning we got a note in our room about the disembarkation. All returned to normal.

Day 3: It was a gorgeous day at sea. I laid out on the lido deck next to the aft pool all day! It was gorgeous.

Day 4 Port Canaveral, FL: Arrived at 7 am. We booked a shuttle through the ship to Cocoa Beach. It was amazing. Just relaxed at the beach all day from about 8:30 am to 3 pm! There were a bunch of shops near by! Including Ron Jon and drug stores. We got back on the ship at about 3:45 pm. I headed up to the spa deck for more sun. I stayed there until we set sail. We were supposed to leave at 6 pm, but instead left at 7 pm. I think some of the excursions ran late, especially the ones that went to Orlando. Day 4 Nassau, Bahamas: The ship docked at about 10:45 am. We were the second ones off the ship! It was awesome! I went around town and looked at some shops, but I went to the beach. Junkanoo Beach to be exact. It was a free beach with wi-fi and it was in walking distance. I couldn't complain. Went back to the ship for lunch, and then headed off to Atlantis. 8 dollars round trip for the taxi, not bad at all! Tinkered around and went to the beach! :) I'm a beach guy if you didn't notice! I was back on the ship at about 5 pm and headed to the spa deck. I met up with friends and did the water slide a couple times! Skipped dinner. Just ate on the lido deck. :) Left port at about 8:15 pm.

Day 5 Freeport, Bahamas: Arrived at 7 am. Took a taxi to Port Lucaya Village, 10 dollars round-trip! Looked around the village then headed to the beach. :p The beach was beautiful and once again had free wi-fi! Stayed there until about 12:30 pm and headed back to the shops! Then it was just a taxi ride back to the ship! Senor Frogs was awesome! Walked into a line of people taking shots straight out of the bottle. Sir Mix A Lot's "Baby Got Back" was on when I walked in. There were girls dancing on the bar and all! I wasen't in there long. We got back on the ship and got something to eat. I was very tempted to go back out to Senor Frogs! Lol. We left at about 4 pm.

Day 6: The first sea day back was awesome! Warm and sunny! Once again I hung out on the spa deck for the day. I did the water slide again! They had competitions to see who could go the fastest. I got 9.5 seconds! Relaxed the day away.

Day 7: Cold day at sea. Meh. Just hung out with my friends and packed my suitcase. That was about it! Took a nice nap. The seas were a little rough, but not too bad. Had our farewell dinner and the farewell show. My roommate played Garth Brooks in the Carnival Legends show. It was pretty good! Day 8: New York, NY: Docked at about 7 am. And we got off the ship at about 9:30 am! Disembarkation was smooth sailing! We hopped on our train and was back in my town before noon! I had a wonderful time on the cruise! I contracted a cold while I was on board. I always washed my hands, and kept sanitizing my hands. I think it may have been going from cold to warm to cold! Oh well! I would do it again in a heartbeat!

As for the ship as a whole: It is slightly dated. And sometimes I got a slight smell of smoke coming from the Casino and bars. The layout of the ship is horrible. It was okay to navigate, but it seemed that they just scattered things everywhere! The gym was tiny, and I couldn't run because I hit my head on the ceiling... I decided that one day was enough at the gym. I lost one pound while i was on the cruise! I thought I would of gained! LOL. I enjoyed writing this review and can answer any questions you guys have! Feel free to message me!

Publication Date: 04/01/14