Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by Cookie07: The Epic has me turned off cruising forever!

Cookie07
Member Since 2011

Cabin Not Rated
Value for Money Not Rated

Compare Prices on Norwegian Epic Western Caribbean Cruises

The Epic has me turned off cruising forever!

Sail Date: March 2014

We quickly found out that while the Epic is the biggest ship in the fleet, it didn't mean more to do, or bigger amemnities, all it really meant is more people crammed in.

The good-

- Our steward was friendly and attentive. We had ice in our buckets at all times and he was very quick to clean our room once we left.

- The only 2 meals we had that I can say were good were at Moderno and Cagney's- both requiring a cover charge.

-Embarkation- smooth and seamless. Spent the least amount of time getting onboard than ever before. We couldn't get to our rooms untill 2 pm, and I didn't get my luggage till 8 pm that night.

Ummmmm.....that's all the good I can think of.

The bad-

-The food was pretty terrible. The first morning we were onboard, we went to Taste for a nice breakfast. 2 out of the 4 orders came out wrong- wrong juice, wrong omelets. The other 2 ordered eggs benedict- stone cold. We had waited about 45 minutes just to get More this, so we didn't want to reorder. The waiter came out about 10 minutes later with another order of eggs bendict to replace a cold one, but that one was cold too. We gave up and had breakfast at the buffet after that.

The buffet was overcrowded. You had to wait in a long line for each component of your breakfast. There was usually nowhere to eat in the dining area and we ended up eating outside by the pool most days. There was never enough silverware- people were swiping if off other tables.

Dinners took forever. We arrived at Manhatten an hour and a half before our show started, and we had to eat our entrees quickly once they arrived and skip dessert just to make it to the show on time. Ice tea was rarely refilled. So disappointed in the food.

- Pool area-

Pools were a joke. Tiny pools, way to many people crammed in them. Not once the whole week were we able to find deck chairs to sit in. Peolple would drape their towels over many loungers in a row , saving them for God knows who. Also- there was no area on any deck that you could walk in a lap. One of the decks had an area along one side, mainly for runners. The view was obstructed by lifeboats.

-Smoky!

The casino, which you have to pass through if you are on the floor, allows smoking. I would have loved to gamble, but couldn't stand the stink. Smoking is also allowed on teh balconies, so beware if your upwind neighbor smokes- yuk.

Entertainment-

This is the first cruise where I had to pay for my entertainment. The Blue Man group was ok, the Legends show was only saved by the Steven Tyler impersonator, and when we arrived (20 minutes early) for our Cirque show that we had premium seats paid for, we found that all the premium seats were occupied by anyone who had arrived before us- regardless if they had paid for them or not. We were sent upstairs where we missed parts of the show occurring beneath us.

The Epic nickle and dimes passengers to death. Everything has a charge associated with it. Reminded me of the airlines nowadays!

In summary- too many people, really bad food, not enough outside space, and hands in my wallet every time I turned around. I don't think I'll ever cruise again because I'm afraid it will be another experience like this. Less

Read more Norwegian Epic cruise reviews >>