Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by katielizabeth

Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sky Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sky Deck Plans
Wonderful 3 night getaway!!!!!

After reading so many negative reviews on the Sky I feel very obligated to share mine with everyone! My husband and I just got home yesterday (March 24th) from our weekend getaway to the Bahamas with 3 friends and had the most wonderful time!!!

This was my 9th cruise so I have A LOT of previous cruise experience (RCI, Celebrity & Carnival) to compare to. There was absolutely nothing worth complaining about on the Sky for us!

*Just a note to all who cruise Feb-April: when you book a cruise during spring break, you will ALWAYS have spring breakers on your ship. We are in our late 20's so really didn't mind it. And actually, didn't seem to have as many spring breakers on our ship as I thought we would.*

Embarkation was a breeze once we got past the check-in counter to get our room cards/keys.

We booked knowing the rooms were smaller than the other 3 day rival cruise line's rooms, but we were pleasantly surprised and very happy with our balcony room. It was very clean, didn't smell and the bed was very comfortable. Our stateroom attendant was very nice and did a wonderful job of cleaning our stateroom every day.

The drinks were average price for a cruise but made perfectly every time! The pina coladas were delicious on board!

I absolutely love the "Freestyle" dining of NCL. It was so nice to not have to be to dinner at a set time every night. We dined every night in the Palace dining room. The food was excellent every night! I don't like mushrooms, at all, and my husband made me try his mushroom bisque the first night which was delicious! Our server the first night was Adan from Philippines and we loved him so much that we decided to request him the other 2 nights we dined. Very friendly, happy and helpful!! We loved his laugh and he got a big tip out of all of us by the end of the cruise. We were never rushed to get up from the table. We did have a 10-15 minute wait the 2nd night because a large wedding party was taking up most of the dining room when we got there (7:30) but we wanted to dine with Adan again so didn't mind waiting for a table with him instead of going over to Crossings. We didn't try the specialty restaurants or Crossings (the other main dining room) so can't review on them. We enjoyed the buffet for breakfast every morning, although the eggs were a little watery for being scrambled (probably used egg beaters or something similar), the rest of the buffet was great! The waffles, which are my favorite, were always cooked perfectly and the breakfast potatoes were seasoned very well. The line to get an omelette made was very long and moved slow, so I would suggest they have another omelette station. We did enjoy an afternoon snack before dinner at the buffet the 2nd day and their apple salad, which we thought was potato salad, was delicious. It was some of the same things they had on Great Stirrup Cay earlier for lunch, which I couldn't complain about because it was all very good. I gladly helped myself to a second helping of lime cous cous for the day YUM!!! Coffee cake was delicious, tasted like it was JUST baked!

When we arrived at Great Stirrup Cay, we walked to the very last beach for a little quiet and relaxing time. The island was beautiful and clean. We live in south Florida so we get to enjoy the beach as often as we wish, but the water and shoreline in the Bahamas is a million times better than where we are from (Fort Myers). We found a nice spot right by the shoreline and the bar we went to for drinks was a very short walk right up by the private cabanas. Drinks were made perfectly (Sex on the Beach & Bahama Mama). Bartender suggested getting the souvenir cup drinks because they are 3 x's the drink at only 2x's the price, and that we did. The buffet food was delicious. I had the cajun chicken with cucumbers and garlic yogurt without the hoagie. I was surprised to see lime cous cous for a lunch side dish (one of my favorite side dishes) and it was cooked perfectly. The garlic yogurt they served with the hoagies is my new favorite sauce. Wish I could have brought some home with me. My mouth is actually watering thinking about it right now.

My husband is a gambler, so every night we were in the Casino for a few hours. We stuck with Black Jack and Roulette. It was a smaller casino but that is to be expected from a smaller ship. Came home winners and had a wonderful time ALL 3 nights!! The servers in the Casino came around frequently and came back with your drink quickly. The dealers knew my husband by name the first night. He was shouting and VERY loud every night (excited over all of his winning hands & roulette calls!!!) and never had the casino supervisor come up to us and tell us to be quiet like previous cruise lines. They actually LOVED that my husband was shouting and getting excited over winning hands because it drew more people in. Everyone was right there with us getting as excited as us as well. Very fun crowd and staff on this cruise!!!

I would absolutely book this ship again for a quick weekend getaway! NCL has quickly become my favorite cruise line to sail with and I have only been on this NCL ship! My husband and I have been on the RCI Oasis of the Seas and are looking forward to comparing it to the Epic soon!!!

Publication Date: 03/31/14