Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by travelsforfun

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by travelsforfun
Oasis of the Seas
Oasis of the Seas
Member Name: travelsforfun
Cruise Date: March 2014
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Great Cruise Ship, but with pitfalls...

I have sailed with Royal Caribbean many times. Being a Platinum Member, I am not "new" to RCCL and how they work. I am very loyal to RCCL and pretty much only sail with them. I book this cruise since it is my Spring Break from college. After seeing the Oasis for more than 4 years and wanting to experience the "WOW" ship, I thought I would give it a try. It was my girlfriend (age 19) and myself (21). This was her first cruise, so she thought it was just am AMAZING ship. However, being an experienced RCCL cruiser, I saw some areas of improvement. I will try to break this review down as much as possible:

FOOD:

Dining room- The dining room was amazing in my opinion, probably the best dining room food I have ever had on a RCCL cruise. Our waiter and Mater D were very attentive. The desert selection was probably the best I have seen on a cruise. The best meal was the lobster tail and lamb shank. Those two entrees simply had me wanting more. One meal not many people show up to is LUNCH in the dining room. It was superb! I ate lunch at the dining room on the last day and was very mad I had wasted lunches at windjammer. Go to the dining room for lunch!

Windjammer- This was was HUGE disappointment. The windjammer is their flagship buffet that they have on every ship. I loved eating at the windjammer on their other ships, and was expecting the same on the Oasis. I probably have had better meals at Golden Corral or some kind of el-cheapo buffet in America. The selection was pretty much the same thing every day. The deserts primarily consistent of either jell-o or mousse. Both of which I absolute hate. For sandwiches, all they had was hotdogs and hamburgers (lame). I would NOT recommend eating at Windjammer.

Izumi ($)- We ate here for lunch. Not much to say about this place, pretty straight forward like any other sushi restaurant. The sushi was great and would recommend eating here.

Giovanni's Table- GREAT place to eat, and at $25pp, a great deal. I would recommend the lamb. The atmosphere probably made the dining experience. Sitting on Central Park with a piano playing in the background, it made for a very romantic dinner. Our waitress was very attentive and always made sure everything was ok or had sufficient drink left. We and cannolis for desert, which i would rate a 7/10..nothing to write home about. For the price, experience, atmosphere, and quality of food, I would eat here again.

Park Cafe- This place was a hit/miss. We ate lunch there on the first day, and what a mistake. VERY crowded. Avoid this place for lunch on boarding day. Hundreds of people swarming this place, all in a very small room. Seating is limited too. We at breakfast here most mornings, which was nothing special. I usually got a fruit/yogurt parfait and breakfast sandwich (average). For lunch, I usually got a salad here. The dressings for the salad are very watered down, FYI, healthier maybe?? The roast beef sandwich was NOT good. After eating mine halfway, I noticed something green in the meat. Half of the meat was green. I immediately took it back and the cooks claimed it was normal and it was fine. Well, where I come from, green meat is spoiled meat! Also, this restaurant is VERY disorganized. No one knows there the salad line ends, roast beef line starts, and the panini line starts. It caused some commotion between passengers thinking one was cutting the other.

Sorrento's- Great pizza!

Johnny Rockets- Ate breakfast here, it's free, and was very pleased!

Promenade Cafe- Great place to grab a snack. The deserts are the same deserts you'll find pretty much anywhere else not the ship. The sandwiches were dry and kind of tasteless, but were great for snacking on.

SHOWS:

Oasis of Dreams- The shows were the best I had ever seen on a cruise ship. The Oasis of the Dreams show was AMAZING. Had you sitting on the edge of your seat the entire time. Do not miss this!

Hairspray- I am not a big hairspray fan, but that doesn't mean anything. The show was great and had lots of grew talent. My girlfriend, who enjoys those kinds of shows, said it was very similar to the Broadway production. One thing I did hear while on the cruise is after the Oasis enters dry-dock this year, Hairspray will be ending and will be replaced with the Broadway musical "Cats".

Comedy Show- It was hilarious! Had me laughing the whole time. Have to be at least 18yoa to enter.

Come fly With Me- Great show! Had a mixture of everything, which made it nice. The production was amazing! A must go!

There are many other shows throughout the week, but too many to list. One tour I did do that I don't regret was the All Access Tour of the Oasis. It is $150pp but takes your places not the ship you would never imagine. It is well worth it if you can spare $150pp!

OVERALL:

The experience of this cruise overall was great! If I were to do it over again, I would go not the Allure of the Seas most likely. These two ships are in a class of themselves. They are not like any other cruise ship. There are many times you don't feel like you're even on a cruise ship. This ship had endless activities, but like people said, there are many things on this ship that cost money. The embarkation/debarkation process was amazing. Getting that many people on/off the ship would seem impossible. We were on the ship within 30 minutes and off the ship within 10 seconds.

Publication Date: 03/30/14