Norwegian Jade Cruise Review by Rotenmutts: 11 Days With North Wind on the Jade

11 Days With North Wind on the Jade

Sail Date: March 2014
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Rome (Civitavecchia)

We are Platinum members who have enjoyed the Jade 2 years ago on a Canary Island cruise. Embarkation was easy. Its only a 500 yard hike from the train station. We signed up for a mini suite and got the last one on a guarantee. Sadly ours and many in this category are under the pool and even with the cold weather, the boys above always moved the deck chairs around before 6 am. The cabin along with the whole ship was clean and in good repair, far better than the Ruby Princess, a newer ship we were on in January. Except the awful TV service. Edguardo our steward was one of the best we have had in over 40 cruises.

Things started of great but starting on day 3, they quickly went downhill. Thank goodness we did not book a shore excursion in Monaco for the day was ruined by a monsoon. Off to the specialty restaurant Le Bistro and I was served the toughest rack of lamb, I had to send it back. Not a good sign when you pay extra. Later that night in our cabin, we could smell burning More plastic and an officer came to our room. We aired out the room by opening the outside doors but explanations are hard to get on cruise ships these days.

Unfortunately, the food in all venues was poor for the next few days but the last straw came when I swallowed a broken bone from chicken wings at the Blue Lagoon and then the waiter spilled the last of my wine on my lap and disappeared without an apology or a napkin after a poor shore excursion in Valencia.

Off to the purser to have a chat. I must have been red flagged because the crew bent over backwards to make amends in the last 4 days of the cruise. Free dinner at Cagney's with wine, partial refund of the excursion with another bottle and chocolates, and the maitre D' showing up every evening to ask how things were.

Many activities were curbed because of the cool weather but the entertainment is always good on NCL. In particular, Steve Rawlings is one of the funniest men I have ever seen. He is way more than just a juggler. Elements is their signature show and its fabulous.

They have the best priced excursions in Europe and although one poor experience can be blamed on the guide, the rest were quite good.

Disembarking, although sad was not the frenzied hassle it is on other ships.

Overall, the Jade offers good value for your vacation dollar. You will enjoy Oceania more but at 4 times the price? The passengers were from all over the world but almost all spoke good English. Far too many from Hamilton, Ontario--there were about 80 of us. I also noticed passengers were a little younger on average, maybe you needed the stamina for 10 ports in 11 days with a high of 10C in Naples and cool in Africa. But NCL is not responsible for the weather. Less

Read more Norwegian Jade cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Jade Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Jade Garden Villa Deck 14

Good size with bath. Lots of closet and drawer space.