Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by shellartist

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by shellartist
Adventure of the Seas
Adventure of the Seas
Member Name: shellartist
Cruise Date: November 2013
Embarkation: Southampton
Destination: Transatlantic
See More About: Adventure of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Transatlantic Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Public Rooms Not Rated

Never again

My main problem with this ship (and likely the whole fleet) is the food. While there were other passengers who happily ate their meals, I was in the awkward position of having to live mostly on rolls & cheese, some fruit, with the odd yogurt now & then, plus a few bowls of horrible, tasteless porridge, and at dinner occasionally a few veg without seasoning. Why? Because my stomach does not like garlic, and it makes me sickly.

I have never had an experience like this on a cruise, where almost every food item is laced with garlic, including: soup, mashed potatoes, hamburgers, meats, fish, every prepared food & salad. Because of this, it was a 2-week ordeal. Who would expect that a cruise ship doesn't have some meals prepared in a classic way without garlic?

I have to give credit to the restaurant staff who tried hard to overcome the problem, by saying that I should tell them in advance what I would like for dinner and they will get it prepared without garlic. I tried that, but then the meat was completely bare, naked, devoid of any taste, and no sauce except a dressing with garlic, or simply butter. The chef at Windjammer was very nice, but that place is chaotic anytime without trying to get a special meal made up. It was all too much struggle. I was told that most of their food comes already pre-packaged with the flavouring in it. I hope this is not a trend among cruise ships nowadays. I would like to enjoy the food on my next cruise, but which ship would be safe to choose?

Embarkation was chaotic too; no one to direct passengers as we boarded. Cabins were not ready. I had to walk around various decks with my carry-on & coat, etc.in hand, trying to find my way around. Not pleasant.

For me, the best thing on this cruise was the Ice Show - super! And the people in the song & dance shows were good.

Publication Date: 03/30/14