Silver Galapagos Cruise Review by radbob48: Great Galapagos expedition - not so great Silversea cruise ship

radbob48

Great Galapagos expedition - not so great Silversea cruise ship

Sail Date: March 2013
Destination: South America & Antarctica
Embarkation: Other

The good part: The Galapagos expedition team was superb w excellent lectures and informative land tours. They were extremely solicitous of everyone and enthusiastic. Wildlife was amazing. There are multiple expeditions each day w varying levels of intensity. I learned to appreciate the very early start of the land tours given the heat of mid-day at the equator.

Also good: Silversea was amazing w the travel connections and transfers to various hotels, transportation modes, and airports. They saved us hours of time and never failed to show up as promised. We were truly impressed and pleased.

The not so good: I found the food bland and unappetizing after just three days. With only one port stop, there was no opportunity to escape the routine until the next to last day when we had a wonderful onshore meal.

The bad: There are only limited times for meals w the evening meal in both the main dining room and the grill not served until 7:30. That was really late for More us, given that we were burning the calories w all the activities. Unfortunately, the grill dining is somewhat formal in that they do dish out bar food (burgers, taco, pizza) until 7:30. Can't understand why the grill can't open at 5:30.

The embarrassing: Silversea should be ashamed of putting to sea w a ship in this shape. While I found the decor okay (some have called it outdated), the air conditioning was universally bad in the cabins w everyone complaining. If you happened to be in a cabin turned toward the sun, there was no way to be comfortable. My wife thought to bring two small travel fans that lets us survive. I would never consider a Silversea cruise because of this experience.

My recommendation: Don't take this cruise. I heard that the ship is due to undergo drydock repairs soon and so you might consider it then. There are other cruise ships in the area and you might try them. But go to the Galapagos. By all means, take the Machu Picchu post-cruise package. Less

Read more Silver Galapagos cruise reviews >>