Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review by footfault1414: Springish break vacation with 5 friends

footfault1414
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Enchantment of the Seas Bahamas Cruises

Springish break vacation with 5 friends

Sail Date: March 2014
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

This is my second cruise (1st was Carnival Destiny in 2007) but first with RCL and it was fantastic. We had planned this ourselves and did not use a travel agent and booked our own airfare. The oldest person in our group is 42 and the youngest was 25. As I did with cruise #1, I cashed in air miles so I could fly first-class and it again puts you into a vacation state of mind. If you cannot I would suggest you fly out the day before in case the weather becomes an issue or if you just want to extend the weekend to another day or two.

We stayed at a Hilton in Cocoa Beach which was only about 10 minutes away from the port. We flew into Orlando and paid for shuttle transportation to get there and back--only took about 45 minutes. First-timers, if you see temps in the 60's and 70's for March don't get upset. 62 degrees on arrival day felt wonderful. That FL sun is a different 62 than Peoria, IL or Buffalo, NY. The hotel had 3 shuttles that transports you at either 10:30, 11:30 or More 12:30. We took shuttle #1 because we wanted to beat the crowd and clear embarkation. Good idea. If you are bringing wine or alcohol onto the ship you MUST put it in your main suitcase. I had some confiscated that was in my backpack.

Embarkation took maybe 30-45 minutes before we were on the Lido Deck enjoyed a pretty good lunch. Rooms were ready on time and were very clean. All of us had Ocean View rooms. Thought about a balcony cabin but you are in your room for such a small period of time it almost seems like a waste of money and the room is not much bigger since the extra room goes toward the balcony space. Our cabin steward knew my name by the end of the first day, very friendly and accommodating. In fact when a friend of ours got sick in the middle of the night, they were there within minutes to clean up the mess (too much alcohol). I would recommend bringing extra hangers. There were a number of them in the room but I overpack and needed every last one I brought. I went to guest services to inquire about an iron but all clothes must be bagged and sent to housekeeping. I thought about doing this but anyone that brings dress clothes will be a bit wrinkled in the dining room anyway so I just didn't worry about it and changed right after dinner anyway. The bathroom and shower is a bit small but you just deal with it. Dinner on Saturday night is formal so you will need to bring proper attire.

The food on the ship was good to very good. I have read in past reviews how the soup was cold (never was) and how some of the hot meals were not hot (mine were). You can pick as many items off of the menu that you want so go for it! The desserts were a slight disappointment--was hoping for a chocolate lava cake like on Carnival but oh well. Our waiter at the early seating was pleasant enough, made recommendations for food but just did not have the cruise energy I have read from other cruisers. No matter, we had enough going on at the table to not need it! As you may have read in other places you will need to purchase alcohol and soda and there are a variety of packages. Unless you need bottled water, specialty coffees or drink A LOT of alcohol, I would advise against it. You have to buy the drink package for the entire cruise and I was not drinking $55 worth of drinks in one day to justify it.

Friday night we went and saw a comedian who was okay at best but it was free. You are not going to get 5 star comedians on a cruise ship. However, the final night there was an adult hypnotist show and it was a riot. I would highly recommend. Some other game show type of shows where there was audience participation and those are always a hoot!

Saturday we arrived in Nassau when the sun came up. We paid for a ship excursion to Blue Lagoon Dolphin Island. There are a couple of options here but we paid a little extra money ($200) which allowed us to pet, swim, play, feed, hug and get a dolphin push! A lot of people seemed to be in for the lesser cost items, which I am sure were fine and certainly less money but I have always wanted to do something like this so we splurged. The group we had for this was only 8 people which made the experience more personal. If you have the opportunity I would highly recommend it! Only thing that surprised me was 78 degrees was still chilly for water temp. If they offer you life jackets or wet suits--go with the later. Our excursion was originally 3-7 but was changed from 1-5. The shops around the boat close down at 5:30pm so we just came back to the ship, ate, walked around and went to Senior Frog, a restaurant on the island right on the ocean where we had a couple more drinks since we were not leaving until 11:30pm.

Sunday, was the relaxation in Coco Cay. Apparently, if you are in a Suite or a Balcony Room on the ship, you automatically have the opportunity to have your own cabana in a private area on the beach. We did not have this type of room but were given the opportunity on Friday at 5:15 or so to put on names on a wait list. We were there right at 5:15pm and got a cabana. There were only a few left so get there when they tell you. It cost an extra $33 per person but WELL WORTH IT! The lunch you are served (I can still taste the seafood skewers and jerk chicken) was wonderful, the privacy was great, you are given a plate of fruit and a bottle of champagne. Weather was in the 70's and just perfect. Buffet is served between 12pm-1:45pm and you can stay there until about 3:30pm. We stayed as long as we could. A ferry brings you to the island and only takes 5 minutes. The shops on the island are dinky so don't expect to find great stuff.

On the ship, we took advantage of the number of the numerous themed bars, ranging from jazz to Latin to 70's themed, etc. There really is something for everyone. Your Sea Pass card pays for all of the liquor and extras you buy on the ship. The night before, before midnight you need to have your luggage out of your room as they will have a 15-30 minute period where your group will be called and able to collect your bags off the ship. This process and debarkation might take a little bit of time so just don't schedule your flight to leave too soon after the cruise concludes. You can opt to carry your own bags off which will save you a little bit of time but you will still have to go through the line at customs. We were off the ship by around 10:00. We took the shuttle over to Orlando and stayed at a hotel in Disney Village and were upgraded to a junior suite! Rained all day there so we just chilled out and left the next day.

I had a great time and would recommend this Cruise line and ship to anyone! Less

Read more Enchantment of the Seas cruise reviews >>