Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by roobrie: NCL GEM Needs Work and Crew Training

Member Since 2007

Compare Prices on Norwegian Gem Eastern Caribbean Cruises

NCL GEM Needs Work and Crew Training

Sail Date: February 2014
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

Feb 26 2014 Eastern Caribbean left on time and got us back safely.

Entertainment in the lounge was first rate.

Our room steward was attentive.

The food service in the Magenta was sometimes quite late in arriving.

The Magenta manager graciously corrected this situation and made sure our future visits were very good. Mr Miller, the manager in the Magenta should be given an award for correcting a bad situation.

Others on the GEM should follow his lead.

One officer walking around the Magenta asked us how we liked the dining. We told her compared to the Holland American Line, that the Magenta Room was not as good. She proceeded to tell us we could not compare the open seating on NCL with HAL. After more than 15 cruises and over 70 years on the planet I assured her that my wife and I were quite qualified to comment on service. She finally started to listen after I reminded her that she was asking for feedback and would have to listen if More she really wanted comments ( this was really upsetting!).

Service and food in the formal dining room was good.

Food in the buffet was good. They have great selections of Indian and Asian foods.

Pool side chef went and got me a veggie burger - great service and it tasted good.

Don't like so many restaurants ( over 5) that you have to pay additional money - $15 to $30 per person per meal.

Gym was adequate and never crowded when I worked out. There were 2 free stretch exercises that were really very good. I took part in the sunset ones, never made the dawn stretch. Less

Read more Norwegian Gem cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Gem Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Gem 11588

The room was decent sized but there were several problems.Black mold under the inside of the shower door. This is a very bad design. This caused a very moldy odor in the bathroom. After 3 days, I found it and was able to spray most of it away while standing in the shower. This is a really poorly designed shower door.Terrace floor was badly stained.Terrace railing glass was so stained that we could not see clearly when sitting on the terrace chair. This glass was never cleaned on the 9 day cruise even though I saw some contraption rolling by on the ship's side.