Disney Wonder Cruise Review by CharlottesMama: First cruise ever and we are hooked.

CharlottesMama
Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Disney Wonder Western Caribbean Cruises

First cruise ever and we are hooked.

Sail Date: October 2013
Embarkation: Galveston

This was the first cruise for all three of us (husband, 7-year-old daughter and myself). This was a birthday gift to our daughter for her 7th birthday, and it was the best birthday present ever - for all of us! Disney is generally out of our price range (and we live in MN, so also pretty hard to get to a port), but the "Farewell to Galveston port" prices were reasonable, and we were able to drove pretty easily from MN to TX.

We knew the Wonder was one of Disney's older ships, but also one of the smaller ones - and we liked that idea. I had joined a Facebook group prior to cruising with others going on our cruise, and that was so great - I could get to know people, anticipate the trip, get tons of tips from seasoned cruisers, etc. Once we were on the cruise, we did a meet and greet and that was a fun way to get to know people from the Facebook group in person. It also helps because our daughter is an only child and I met some parents that had kids her age and was able to More introduce her to their kids (and my husband) at the start of the cruise.

Our room was #1060, and it had two portholes. We loved having the windows to check weather and see what was outside. The room had plenty of storage space. I love the split bathroom. There was not a lot of people noise even though we were near the elevators (which worked great for us), but we did hear ship noises when getting to ports, but nothing too bad. The beds were comfortable and the small electric cooler kept our beer cold all week. The built-in hair dryer was fine - even though I have read some people don't like it.

We lucked out and got seated (late seating, which worked great for us) with a great family with two daughters close to the same age as our daughter. Our servers, Jamie (from Spain) and David (from Portugal) made every dinner so much fun. The girls adored them, as did the rest of us. The food was also great. The only dinner I did not love was the Jamaican-themed menu - but that's just because I don't love that type of food. The lobster was great, lobster ravioli was great, all desserts were incredible and we also had brunch at Palo one morning. I highly recommend the grape blue cheese pizza. To die for. We also enjoyed room service many times which came in handy before the evening shows to tide us over before dinner. The lunch options, soft serve ice cream and unlimited soda, hot chocolate, tea and coffee were all great too. Being able to bring our own alcohol on board was nice, and we enjoyed beer in our room once in awhile. I did also buy a bottle of wine and two drink of the day drinks while on the cruise - not bad values, either.

We enjoyed all the evening shows (the only one we did not attend was when they showed Cars 2). Our daughter loved, loved, loved the Oceaneer's Cub and she spent much of her time there. My husband and I enjoyed time at the adult pool and game room while she was in the club - as well as catching a movie and exploring the ship.

We loved the gift shop and got some fun gifts there, and prices were not bad at all.

The character breakfast, Princess Meet and Greet and other Character meets were highlights for our daughter (and us) and we loved all of the dance parties with characters. She brought her own autograph book that she has used at Walt Disney World and she loved adding to it. Other highlights were pirate night and Halloween night (October cruise has it's benefits).

The weather was great almost the whole trip (80s) and the cruise was smooth except for one night near Cozumel, when it got fairly windy and wavy and I think it rained overnight. I m sure it bothered some, but luckily none of us get seasick and we enjoyed the movement - made sleeping more interesting - haha.

Honestly I was not sure what we would think of a cruise, but I knew starting off with Disney would be great - especially for the awesome service and because we have a 7-year-old, and she loved every second of that trip, as did we. Disney is expensive - but so worth it. We made lots of friends (some lifelong friends) and would love to find a way to take another Disney cruise someday.

Embarkation and Debarkation were both smooth and easy as well - the whole trip was just wonderful. Highly recommend cruising with Disney. We loved the Disney Wonder. Less

Read more Disney Wonder cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Disney Wonder Review >>

Cabin review: Disney Wonder 1060

Dolphin Swim & Encounter

(5)

We walked about 15 minutes to get in a small taxi van to go to Chankanaab National Park, home of Dolphin Discovery, which was about 15-20 minute drive. The port area had lots of shops and restaurants, but we did not go to any - we just went straight to the park. Chankanaab National Park is absolutely gorgeous. The dolphin encounter was very fun. We had done one in Grand Cayman in 2012, but that was in a salt water pool - and I enjoyed being in the ocean more (the dolphins are in an area of the ocean off the beach and that is sectioned off in it's own area). The waves were a bit hard to take against the wall when in the water (with life jackets on of course) waiting for our turns with the dolphins as it was raining and overcast a bit, but that bothered our daughter more since she is younger and smaller, so we held on to her tightly. The dolphin excursion was super fun and our daughter loved being able to swim with them as she had been too young when we did it in Cayman in 2012, and could only kiss them and hold their fins that time. After the dolphin encounter, we were free to roam the park until it was time to get the last van back to the port (a couple more hours - or we could have left right after, but we decided to stay and explore). The park was beautiful with tons of gardens, a beautiful beach, a sea lion show and an alligator area. We also could have swam in a pool or a lagoon, and the lagoon looked great.

Green Grotto Caves

We walked for about 5-10 minutes and got on an air-conditioned bus and the ride to the caves took about 35 minutes. Our guide was engaging and told us lots of interesting things on the way. The cave tour was HOT, but they gave us a great refreshment went done. It was a little harder for the older and out-of-shape people in the group, but was not all that strenuous. The caves were beautiful. We then took the bus to a gorgeous beach. We didn't get a lot of time in the ocean before lunch was ready, but that was okay as we had ocean time planned at our next excursion. The meal was great and then we were taken back to port. The Falmouth port was really beautiful and had fun shops, restaurants and some interesting things going on like a small dance parade and a fire-breather. We enjoyed Margaritaville with some friends from the cruise.

We have been to Grand Cayman before (my brother lives there), and we have done lots of touristy things there (we have done Stingray City, which I highly recommend - also highly recommend the Turtle Farm and Dolphin Discovery), so this time we decided to spend as much time as we could at Seven Mile Beach and swimming in the ocean. Having a brother who lives on that beach makes that very easy, so we spent about 4 hours swimming, eating at a restaurant on the beach and snorkeling. Best beach and oceanfront on the world in my opinion. We even saw a small stingray. Taking the tender back and forth to the ship was totally fine, and we just had to wait in an auditorium (with cartoons playing for kids) for about 15 minutes to get off the ship to the port being that we were not part of excursion. Very easy and smooth.