Disney Magic Cruise Review by cdiano: Spring Break Bahamas - Castaway Cay

Sail Date: March 2014
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

Food

I read just about everywhere that the food on this cruise was excellent. I can tell you that it was better than an all-inclusive resort, but excellent is stretching it a little. Overall it was good with a couple of snags: Red Snapper - overcooked and dry. One night my wife and sister-in law ordered prime rib which was left untouched. I thought the dining experience in Animator's Palace was great! Service was also very good from our two servers (who follow you to each dining area).

Shows

Attended the three shows (one each evening). The last one (Disney Dreams) was easily best. The first two were acceptable but have no basis for comparison (have not been on a cruise before). Obviously, the target audience for these shows are kids, but they do sprinkle some adult humor (or attempted humor) throughout. If you are not into shows, miss the first two but at least go to the last one. I was floored by the size of the theater and the size of the movie theater in More the ship.

Overall

Great first cruise experience, but I have decided that I am not a cruise 'person' so this will probably be my last. My daughter did get sick the last day (twice in Carioca's). Symptoms of the stomach bug, but she was the only one in our party (ten people) that got sick. She got better within two days.

I did feel like Disney tries to nickel and dime you everywhere, but that is to be expected. For example, arcade costs money, you bring your own wine bottle they charge you $23 to open your own bottle (at dinner), they charged for coffee @ the first dinner (really???). On the plus side, they allowed you to take pictures with all the characters for free... !!! Less

Read more Disney Magic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Disney Magic Review >>

Cabin review: Disney Magic 6110

CabinThe cabin was clean and had a nice aroma. Fairly spacious for our party (two adults and a kid). We also purchased an inside cabin (without a view) for grandma and our two other kids. The inside cabin (no view) felt a little claustrophobic and smelled a little like food. Our cabin I have no complaints. One night the power to TV and two night lights went out and did not get fixed until twelve hours later. No big deal unless you plan to watch TV throughout your cruise, which would beg the question why you are on a cruise to begin with.

By far the best part of the trip.

The beach is beautiful with plenty of umbrella and chairs for everybody. We saw some that went unused the entire day! White sands and a calm light blue ocean. Perfect for the kids. We took our own snorkeling gear and took turns in the snorkeling area. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Disney put some sunken boats, anchors, etc... saw some cool fish. There is a ton to do on the island (para sailing, bike rides, 5K in the morning) and it never felt like there were 3,000 people from the boat.

The food was also great (BBQ) with absolutely no lines. Servers kept checking on us for drinks which you could charge to your room on the boat. I wish we could have done two days here vs the Bahamas.

Well, we did not do an excursion here b/c we felt it was too expensive $$$. Do not ask guest services what else there is to do because they will tell you that they can only recommend 'their excursions' to ensure you have a good experience.

If you do not want to do an excursion, grab a cab and they will take you to a public beach called 'cabbage beach' which is located close to Atlantis. Saw folks from other cruises there. Cab ride is $4 per person. Take water with you, a towel, some sun screen and enjoy. The water is beautiful. The water was quite rough with sizable waves so careful with the kiddos. There are quite a few locals selling you beer, dreads, etc. but they do not hassle you. You can also rent jet skis, ride a banana boat for $$ but not sure how much. If you do by beer, make sure you negotiate. You can get a couple of $ off. FYI, Felt safe at all times.

Read 2629 Nassau Reviews