Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by greylockgal: The Illusion of Substance Cruise

greylockgal
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Celebrity Silhouette Western Caribbean Cruises

The Illusion of Substance Cruise

Sail Date: March 2014

This was my first cruise and I was traveling with two other women who are both avid cruise fans. My husband and I prefer independent travel but he wanted me to experience a cruise sans him!

One of the women is a leg amputee so much care was taken in deciding on the stateroom. We chose Concierge Class (AC). The room did accommodate her needs.

After reading all the fluff about the concierge class I expected just about the best of everything a cruise had to offer. There was supposed to be a pillow menu - we never saw one. The fruit was fresh on day one but after that uneaten fruit was just turned over and not replaced. The so called fresh flower arrangement consisted of a single stem of alstroemeria stuck in a vase which had holes for three stems. There was supposed to be an extra hand held hairdryer but when we asked the room attendant where it was located he said none of the rooms had more than one dryer. The fact that there were three people in the room just didn't More register with the staff. There were just two sets of towels, two bathrobes and even when ordering room service for three - silver and napkins were always provided for two. But the worst misconception was the accommodation for the third person's sleeping arrangements. Pictures showed a sofa which could be made into a bed. When we walked into the cabin I saw a corner seat - no sofa - and that was indeed what became the most disgusting bed I've ever seen. When made up the mattress was hardly six inches off the floor. This was where a 71 year old had to sleep for a week. The difficulty of getting up off the bed was totally unacceptable. The bed was never put back to into a seat for the day during the entire cruise - just this bedding mess lying on the floor. Why did she have to pay a premium price for such a disgrace?

The dining room experience was something that totally blew my mind. There must have been a bean counter for every plate that left that kitchen. Many nights there were very few people in the dining room and the reason for that became very apparent. There just wasn't enough food. I'm sure many of the men went to the café as they wanted to eat. One example - pork loin with butternut squash and red cabbage. There were five slices of pork loin the size of a silver dollar and maybe a quarter inch thick served with possibly a quarter cup of red cabbage and what I'd call a drizzle of butternut squash (no more than a tablespoon). This was the main course. There must have been a great sale on carrots and green beans as every night most of the dinners were served with these two vegetables.

Room service was another joke. Two days we ordered breakfast. Both days it arrived a half hour later than we had requested and was always setup for two people. The hot items arrived so cold both days that we just gave up on that option.

The Oceanview Café did provide a dining area where one could find something appealing to eat. As funny as it sounds my favorite foods were the crusty breads and the frozen chocolate yogurt.

The shore excursions we took turned out to be another way to glean the pockets of the tourists. I'm still shocked at the experience I had in Jamaica. One of the stops was at a nursery school. I'm sure the children had been taught to come running when the buses arrived. We were encouraged to interact with and pick up the children. I felt just as though it was a zoo with children performing instead of animals. These children were being exploited and who knows if a sex offender might have been in the group - probably not but who knows? And yes at the end of the tour the old woman who was the supposed founder of the school was looking for money to fix the ceiling.

The entertainment was not my style. I'm sure it appealed to many but I found it old and boring.

Will I ever cruise again - probably not. Celebrity Cruises did not deliver for me!!! Less

Read more Celebrity Silhouette cruise reviews >>