Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by molar99: Enjoyable Trip--willdo it again!

molar99
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Norwegian Sun Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Enjoyable Trip--willdo it again!

Sail Date: March 2014

I found the cruise very enjoyable. I use a rolling walker and did not know how much I would get to do off the ship. I found the shore excursion staff (very short, dark haired young woman with an accent) most helpful letting me know which excursions would be accessible to me. The Cococabana Beach day in Barbados helped with walker and we could get help to be near the beach so that I could make it into the water. They were very helpful.

In St. Thomas at the dock there is an open air trolley affair that gives you a free ride to the shopping area ( Havensight) It was most appreciated by this mobility challenged lady! Got to purchase the Lorimar jewelry there because this service was offered!

It would have helped if we had known beforehand that on Guadaloup only Euros are accepted, even for taxi fare. would like to have seen this island but we had no euros and the bank was too far of a walk for me to make. Stayed on the ship as did many, many folks.

If you are More going to Curacao on the Sun, make sure that by 4:30 when ship is getting ready to sail you are on deck 11 in the very rear of ship dining area outside to watch and photograph the pontoon bridge swing open for your huge ship to sail out. It was most impressive. The view of Curacao from up there was magnificent and one of my favorite parts of the trip!!!

We had not been on a cruise for 30 years and it was a rude awakening on days at sea to find that you had to get up and be up on the pool deck by 6:00AM to leave your towel and a bag or something to secure a chaise lounger in the shade!!!! And even then we had people remove our towels and stuff from the chaise while we were in the pool. People had no shame about it. Norwegian needs to do something about this problem!!! Deck space in the shade on the Norwegian Sun is scarce.

The cruise director was very good as well as the rest of his staff. Plenty of places on this ship to enjoy music every night! have not laughed so hard at some of the shows. The Comedian, Don Freisan , I think his name was and El Gaucho were very entertaining, as well as the hypnotist--don't miss them.

I do have to say that we both found the food only medium quality. Breakfast was by far the best. Omlette bar staff did great omlettes--also the pasta bar at lunch and evening was good. We found desserts lacking and I could use much more seasoning with most of the food. The staff however was exceptional--always asking if they could carry my plate for me at buffet.

The staff in every instance for us was great. Room steward, Raj, couldn't have been more helpful or nice! We think that we would like to try RCCL for our next cruise, but I may just opt for the NCL Sun again because of the great staff!!! Less

Read more Norwegian Sun cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Sun Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Sun 4219

The cabin was small, especially with my rolling walker in there. I had to roll it to the door to store it and then could not get into the closet. If with anyone but my husband this cabin would have been way too small. It did contain everything that we needed. I would have been happier if TV carried more US channels and I wish that the channel for the cruise ship gave more information about what was going on each particular day! Wish there had been more daily updates on ports for that particular day.

visiting Aruba on a Sunday is not good. Too many things are closed. The beach is beautiful but the only taxi driver available when we left the ship would only take us to Carlisle beach for $18.00--several dollars more than the fair listed at the terminal. We returned for $4.00 for both of us by a nice, open air tour driver with his group!

Read 681 Aruba Reviews

Shore excursion staff made sure that the Cococabana Beach Bar Beach day excursion would take me with the rolling walker. The excursion staff from that beach bar were fabulous to me and my husband. The beach itself was close enough so that I could walk to water and I was in and out of the water constantly the whole time there. I even saw a huge starfish in about 5 ft. of crystal clear water!!!! The young man from the bar who carried my walker for me, came by several times to make sure that everything was OK and went himself to get us our complimentary drinks!! Cudos to extraordinary service!!!! I would go back anytime to Barbados! They treasure the handicapped tourist!!!

Read 701 Barbados Reviews

Because of my mobility issues we did not plan an excursion but went off the ship to see what we might see. There was a FREE open air trolley-train affair that went by the ship every 10 minutes and ferried folks to the Havensight Mall. It was only because of this free service that we went looking for the Lorimar jewelry that I wanted to purchase. Good thinking with the FREE trolley ride. Because of it, one merchant benefitted from my jewelry purchase and instead of just a ring, I bought the ring, bracelet, earrings and pendant!!!

I will not soon forget that the merchants of Havensight mall value their tourists!!!

Read 2318 St. Thomas Reviews