Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by bandrich: GREAT FIRST CRUISE

GREAT FIRST CRUISE

Sail Date: August 2013
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Vancouver

Alaska was amazing, but it was even more special with a ship full of people who made you feel like family. I was not very excited and nervous about cruising. Since we leave for our second cruise in less than two weeks it is obvious we had a wonderful time.

Our room was spotless, our steward was always around and made our bed at least twice a day without us ever asking. The shows were fun, we upgraded to dinner at the pay venues and were very pleased with the service and quality of the food. The salmon, lobster and halibut were melt in your mouth wonderful and fresh fruit for breakfast was perfect. One morning when I asked for a biscuit to go with the fruit and the waiter brought an entire plate full of biscuits with gravy and assorted jellies and jams, which I almost felt guilty for not finishing as I really just wanted one biscuit. My husband was happy to help out. We were exhausted after each excursion and taking a nap was a must. We were surprised that our room was very More quiet and we never heard anyone else while in our stateroom. Our cruise director was amazing and I was sure that he had a twin, because the man was everywhere always with a smile and helpful suggests or directs for the guests. Our last port did not end the fun, as we were told by the crew about a great tour that let us see a wildlife refuge and the scenic roadway from the port into Anchorage, a great dinner at another suggestion of helpful crew members and to the airport for our ride home. My best suggestion would be that you really study the excursions and pick what is best for you. We did our homework, spent a little more than we had originally planned but the experiences were worth every cent. Less

Read more Norwegian Sun cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Sun Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Sun 9017

Going to Alaska without a balcony would mean missing some very special moments. Whales, seals, birds and amazing views of land untouched by man for hours on end were almost so good that you did not want to leave your balcony. In Glacier Bay, we came back to our room when the ship was turning and when we opened the door we could not believe what we saw. The glacier was so close we thought we could reach out and touch it.

Float Plane

My husband and I agreed this was our favorite tour. Flying over the glaciers was a once in a lifetime experience. Our guides at the Lodge were graduate students, which were full of knowledge about the area and much unexpected understanding of the history and ecological significance of the area. The lunch was the best salmon (cedar planked) and fresh. Coming from Florida fresh fish or none is my rule and the lunch was all fresh down to the glacier ice that cooled the drinks. Only downside is that we could have spent more time exploring the area, but it is a business and the bottom line of money flow keeps this place open and the students studies possible.

Misty Fjords Wilderness Cruise

(5)

Absolutely beautiful area. Friendly, experienced crew that made the trip fun and educational. I was upstairs taking in the view and so many pictures that my ears began to hurt from the cold. Guess that is a sign of someone not accustom to the cold. The ride can be a little bumpy, damp and cloudy, but that is part of being in Alaska. My only wish would be some more individual space, as being smaller made it difficult for me to get the pictures I wanted when others stood in front of me or walked over me.

White Pass Scenic Railway

(5)

The train ride was lovely and full of unbelievable views. The history lesson by the guides was nice. While we enjoyed the tour, the free ranger guided tour with the museum, hiking at the local park and lunch in town made this port our favorite and I actually tried to figure out how we can return for a week just to explore this town and surrounding areas.