Royal Princess Cruise Review by LinnieSD: Disappointing!

LinnieSD
Member Since 2014

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Royal Princess Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Disappointing!

Sail Date: March 2014

We found the embarkation process to be without a problem. The problem for us was the physical layout of the ship itself. We have traveled on many different cruise ships and found this one particularly difficult to navigate. I think one of the main issues is that there is not one deck that goes all around the ship as in a promenade. It seemed that we were going up stairs and down stairs to get where we wanted to go. The elevators are slow and inadequate for a good part of the cruise. Lots of passengers were complaining about the elevator situation. The cabin itself is nicely appointed but the bathroom is about the smallest I have encountered on a cruise ship. It is also time to give up the shower curtain as it is a constant source of annoyance. It is a challenge to dry your back with a towel without hitting into the wall. The balcony as well is extremely small. It would be nice to be able to look out at the ocean when seated on the lounge chair but if two people are using the chairs, More they have to be sideways rather than facing the ocean. Another issue for me was the main pool. I was unaware that they show movies all of the time on the pool deck. It is very loud and if you would like to read, it is almost impossible. The adult pool area is lovely and quieter but often hard to get lounge chairs. We were assigned the Allegra Dining Room for the late seating. I found the décor to be rather austere for a dining room as our experience has been that dining rooms on the other ships are quite beautiful. The lighting in the dining room was quite bright--kind of a diner feel. When I asked the head waiter or dining room manager if the lights could be made a bit dimmer, his response was that there are a lot of old people on the cruise and they have difficulty with their eyesight and have difficulty reading the menu and that is why the lights are so bright. I thought that was a bit of a lame response. Eventually, the lights dimmed somewhat but some areas remained quite bright.

For the most part we found everyone to be pleasant--particularly our cabin steward Milan.

The food was inconsistent--some nights very good--other nights mediocre but typical of most cruise food. Some of the entertainment was excellent especially the illusionist.

All in all, we were very disappointed and feel that Princess needs to resolve some of the problems in order to improve the overall cruise experience. Less

Read more Royal Princess cruise reviews >>