Thomson Celebration Cruise Review by tilford: Great week (despite the reviews!)

tilford
Member Since 2014

Cabin Not Rated

Great week (despite the reviews!)

Sail Date: February 2014
Destination: Canary Islands
Embarkation: Las Palmas

We were on the departure from Las Palmas on 1st February.

I had booked just after Christmas and only then started reading some of the reviews – big mistake! In the event we had a great week with virtually no problems at all. We were blessed with fine weather nearly all the time.

The staff on board really made the trip,they were the best I have experienced on any cruise,and just could not do enough for you. We eat every night (excep one)tin the Meridien restaurant and had good food and excellent service. I said to the maitre d' on the first night that we would like a table for 2 and he kept the same one for us every night . We ate one night in Mistrals and the food was superb- the best meal I have had for a long time. We had breakfast in the Lido and this was fine but it did get busy at certain times. I thought the food generally compared well with P&O (Oriana,Ventura and Azura). A good deal(which you buy on board)is the Wine Package where you get 5 bottles More of very reasonable wine for £59.

We had cabin 133. A very good choice,most comfortable and quiet. Bed very good,slept extremely well. Our cabin steward, Apri, was great and kept everything tip-top. Nice to have bath as well as shower and all was spotlessly clean. TV Sky and BBC failed for about 3 days,don't know why.

Niggles,well a few. It does seem a bit weird to try and sell front seats for the entertainment at £8 a time,when there was never the slightest difficulty in getting a seat. Similarly, offering a steak at £9 extra at dinner time did appear rather money-grabbing. Wi-fi was expensive and slow and only worked in a few places on 5 deck. The library was a joke – a motley selection of very tired and well-thumbed titles.

But generally an impressive product. Its not super-luxury, but you get what you pay for. For a nearly 30 year old ship,Celebration is well-kept and well looked-after. I highly recommend. Less

Read more Thomson Celebration cruise reviews >>