Become a Cruise Insider
Tips, deals and more in your inbox.

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by zzq22: And now we know...

Norwegian Getaway 5
zzq22
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Norwegian Getaway Eastern Caribbean Cruises

And now we know...

Sail Date: March 2014

This was our first experience with Freestyle cruising and I must say it was a different experience than we are used to. Over the years, we've traveled aboard Carnival, Costa, HAL and RCL before "finding ourselves" aboard Celebrity's Solstice class ships. Our group bridges the 50's - 60's in age so it's no shock that the more mature clientele on Celebrity was a better fit. Norwegian's target market is decidedly younger and their cruise agenda, co-branded with Nickelodeon, dovetails well with families bringing young children on vacation. The Getaway is literally a playground with a water park, video arcade, mini-golf, ropes course, climbing wall...even a rubber room where toddlers can safely let their freak-flag fly. Activities include plenty of opportunities for kids to interact with Spongebob or Dora the Explorer and adults are presented ample opportunity for entertainment as well. In short, the shows and entertainment on board Getaway were superior to any we had experienced at sea More until now. Performances of "Legally Blonde, the Musical" and "Wine Lovers, the Musical" were brilliantly staged and sparklingly performed while their Havana-inspired "Burn the Floor" was simply the hottest dance show I've ever seen anywhere. Coupled with the amazing "Illusionarium" magic show where an ensemble of gifted magicians wowed us with world-class effects, we were never disappointed. Even "Headliners", their intimate comedy venue, and "The Grammy Experience", home to Grammy-winning guest performers were exceptional. The acts were fresh and packed with 1st quality talent.

Now...the other side of the coin. NCL's business model seems to be to provide the bare minimum of quality in their three main dining rooms and buffet in order to prompt you to buy their up-sold specialty restaurants. Due to the youth of this ship there was not much in the way of cruiser feedback on which to base our decision to forgo purchasing the meal plan that would allow us a different specialty restaurant each night. In retrospect, it would have been very welcome and I'm sure given us an opportunity to rave about the food.

At some point in the cruise a comment card appeared in our cabin which asked us to identify any vacation heroes who made our trip remarkable. Were it not for the warm smile, happy demeanor and attentive service we received from our cabin attendant Jonah, the card would not have been necessary. Don't get me wrong, I couldn't point a finger at anyone for bad service but she was the only crew member who seemed engaging and intent on providing an above and beyond experience. Kudos to her for doing more than just going through the motions. Less

Published 03/20/14

Read more Norwegian Getaway cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Getaway Review >>

Compare Prices on Norwegian Getaway Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Cabin review:

Our mid-ship oceanview cabin was sufficient for a 7-day cruise on a ship with so rich an entertainment lineup but it was very small. By that I mean it didn't have much more than a bed and bathroom. On several occasions I found myself wishing for the customary sofa or even an easy chair, they just would not have fit in the space we had. The shower was square and so it seemed larger than it's round counterpart in RCL's or Celebrity's cabins. The difference isn't great but when you're a big guy to begin with, inches count. Gone were the tiny amenities in favor of wall-mounted dispensers for hand soap, body wash and shampoo. I'm still conflicted about that but I never had to try to double-over in that tiny enclosure to pick up a dropped shampoo or conditioner bottle which was a plus. All in all this cabin class was functional and that is all that we really needed on so short a trip.