Marco Polo Cruise Review by pslack86

Embarkation: London (Tilbury)
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Cabin Category: 1
Cabin Number: 428/510
See More About: Marco Polo Cruise Reviews | Baltic & Northern Europe Cruise Reviews | Cruise & Maritime Voyages Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Marco Polo Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Marco Polo Deck Plans
Cruise and Maritime - Nightmare Don't do it !!!

Having read a few forums and a few reviews about Cruise and maritime and the Marco Polo ship, I decided to ignore some of the bad ones, as you always get one or two who go overboard , what a mistake that was.

My wife and I have just returned from the worst trip we have ever encountered and i,m sure i,m not on my own in saying this. It was a total in- memorable trip with nothing to come back to and say" that was nice" !

None of the Places we visited were really interesting, Narvic and Tromso were of some interest for the War interest and the Excursions were a total rip off !! Luckily we only ended up doing One as the the other two we booked were cancelled including the Northern Lights trip !! which to be honest was our reason for being on the trip to see them. The reason they were cancelled was originally the weather but other rumours were the road was closed because of an accident, either way there was surely a way to get to one of the destinations which were suggested but totally disappointed as this is why were there.

The excursions were a laugh as some of them were following the free shuttle bus and dropping you in the town, so do it yourself , especially in Amsterdam ,(just walk !)Narvic, Alta, Tromso, Alleslund !! Alta was the biggest laugh as it was to the Cathedral ( which is rubbish!) and town (which is rubbish!) £30 later to take you in the free entry Cathedral and walk around a block of shops- so many people were moaning - unbelievable rip off.Our trip was to the Church and Troll wall from Andeses and was a laugh as well, a wooden church( not bad) and a side of a mountain- that will be £50 each please !!!

The weather going and coming home was bad or Normal for that time of year and many people were ill, don't be too ill as people on our table were teated for sea sickness and had a bill from their friendly Doctor of £2000 !!! yes £2000 !!! They were situated at he front, don't be !! get in the middle somewhere.

We had to stay in Tromso and extra day because of the seas and missed Sortland but the seas were still rough from Bergen but that ship did not stay another day there - did it !! Had too be back on schedule in Tilbury !!

The ship itself is OK but I felt it was Old and in the seas was going to snap in half (just my thoughts!) it was quiet all around and I referred it as a Morgue Ship. We are only 50 and did not really want to play throw the bean bag in the bucket or bingo !! Nobody was using the un-interesting bars either so nobody to have a laugh with. The bars were limited in beers- bit burger was the only draught beer and bottle beers were expensive.

Food was awful but edible (just) don't get me wrong I am no connoisseur but it was just not nice. The Bistro was used a bit as I could not take the fine Dining too much- a single grilled mussel on a plate ! what a joke !!

Drinking water was chlorinated and smelt like a swimming pool and water in your room was £2.20 a bottle- another rip off. Staff were ok but being mainly Eastern European they looked more like mafia than waiters !!

Thats probable a bit harsh but I had friendlier looking staff.

We started in room 428 -Pacific deck and was suppose to be Superior Plus Outside cabin , did not look any different to any other to be honest. they told me it could be two singles or join to double bed but could not at all so slept apart .I say we started in 428 as if you look at a plan on that deck I can now see a small square in our room . This was the service lift for below and the whine and clunk it made was horrendous , i,m sure other people around this room would also be effected. So they moved us to 510 and listened instead to the engine ! god nows what its like a bit lower and i,m partly deaf !!!

Cost me £3000 plus all the other expenses(excursion , spending, on board etc) I removed the gratatuaties as I thought it was excessive and I prefer to tip myself which you can do a day before departure.

departure at Tilbury was a pain as well , just when you want to get off and they keep you hanging around for two hours longer than stated, I could of screamed !!!

Don't get me wrong before we got on this Trip i Knew we were looking for the Northern Lights and May encounter rough seas in the process of getting there. Well we did see a glimmer of the Lights and did encounter rough seas !!!

i think you got the jist of what i,m saying, I am no Cruise expert, only second one, the first last year on The Arcadia to St Petersburg and loved it all, did not want to get off !!

This time nearly got off in Alta ! Some people did get off in Tromso and flew home (wish I did).

Publication Date: 03/18/14