Marina Cruise Review by rosafitch

Member Name: rosafitch
Cruise Date: February 2014
Embarkation: Sydney (Australia)
Destination: Australia & New Zealand
See More About: Marina Cruise Reviews | Australia & New Zealand Cruise Reviews | Oceania Cruise Deals

LuxuryOnly.com

Ship Facts: Marina Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Marina Deck Plans
Don't book with Oceania...

Don't book on Oceania: Unless you want to be "nickeled & dimed". Unless you are over 70 years old. Unless you are a married couple.... and don't, don't, don't book directly with Oceania (use a travel agent- that was you have an advocate and perks that you don't get with Oceania directly. Don't upgrade to the concierge level (it is a total waste of money). I booked this cruise a year in advance directly with Oceania. I booked airfare with Oceania on my return home, thinking they would "take care" of me from the ship to the airport they wouldn't even take our luggage to the airport for us! We had to get off the ship at 9:00 am and our flight departed at 7:15 pm (it was not my choice to have that departure time). We had to purchase an excursion for the day of our departure for $169, on which they dropped us off at the military museum for 3 hours for a "self-guided tour", then we were dropped off at a shopping area for 3 hours for lunch on our own and shopping. The 1st excursion I had on this cruise was a vintage train ride for $200.00. The tour guide took us down Collins Street in Melbourne during lunch hour and we sat in traffic for an hour (the tour guide told us where she had lived, where she had gotten married and when we asked her a question about Melbourne, she looked up the answer in a book!) - then we were taken on the train ride, which was just ok, then on the way back to the ship she put on a tape for everyone to listen to of a British humorist telling "pub" jokes (sexual). I wrote a review on the mid-cruise comment sheet and went to the destinations counter and was told the complaint must be written again on their form, which I did. The next day I received a form letter that said Oceania was sorry I was not satisfied with the excursion... nothing else (I ran into others that were on the same excursion that also filled out the form - they received the same form letter). I booked 6 excursions on this cruise - they were all expensive - from $155 to $350. I was told from other passengers on the ship that they had onboard credits from their travel agent (for the same cabin that we had) for $650.00. Oceania (we booked directly with them) gave us nothing. There was a meet & greet for gays & lesbians, but not for single people. I felt like I was hearded the entire trip. There was inadequate communication about the departure from the ship on the day of departure (it came the night before departure). Three days before departure from the ship I asked to speak to the general manager, Damien LaCroix, and was asked if I had an appointment; I said "no, but I would like an appointment". "Randall" called us back - I never heard from Mr. LaCroix. This was my third cruise on Oceania and I will NEVER cruise on Oceania again! The wait staff and cabin cleaners were wonderful, the food was good, the entertainment was amateurish, the coffee was horrible (unless you went to the baristas on deck 14 - who closed at 6pm).

Publication Date: 03/19/14