Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by Joyful100

Norwegian Getaway
Norwegian Getaway
Member Name: Joyful100
Cruise Date: March 2014
See More About: Norwegian Getaway Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Entertainment 5+

Ship Facts: Norwegian Getaway Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Getaway Deck Plans
Another Great NCL cruise

I was on the Norwegian Getaway March 8 – March 15th. Overall it was a great vacation.

I got into Miami on March 7th and stayed at Hampton Inn (Brickell), nice place to stay for a night before a cruise.

Embarkation was a breeze, got to Port at around noon, was on ship by 12:30. Ate at Flamingo Grill (Cuban food) became our favourite that week. Had Jambalaya type rice, fried plantain, pork chop, beef and a delicious milk pudding type dessert.

Rooms were ready around 1:30 pm. I had a great room Steward; thank you Ritzel for taking care of us.

I used the iconcierge app to communicate with my sister and teenage daughter. I used it successfully 90% of the time. I think it was worth the $7.95 fee for each of us. It made it much easier to track each other down.

There was so much to do on this ship. My favourites included Zumba in the morning (two sea days) and Cardio Salsa (two mornings) which I took part in. My sister did flywheel classes and used the gym all week.

For dance lovers there were various dance classes e.g. line dancing, salsa, waltz etc. There several types of game shows, there was the comedy club (my sister loved it), there was Howl at the Moon (good time), Grammy Experience (didn’t attend), Karoake (fun my sister loved it) etc. I went to the magic show the Illusionarium (dinner time show), great magic, don’t miss this show! Get to the venue early even if you buy premium seats. It is first come first serve seating. I also went for the Wine Lovers Musical (lunch time show). Actual show was amusing -- food and wine were good. The food was slightly different from the Illusionarium dinner. They both had steak and shrimp. The dinner shrimp was better in my opinion (garlic in the evening verses fried for the afternoon show but the potatoes for lunch was better. Wedges for dinner vs mashed for lunch. I preferred the dessert for lunch which was a mocha cheese cake versus the three sample desserts for the dinner show.

For party lovers, there were parties every night: 70’s party, 80’s party, Latin Party, Glow etc.

For the adventurous there were the water slides, bungee type activities, rope course, rock climbing, walk the plank (didn’t try any but saw people lined up all the time)!

Fireworks to music one night was very enjoyable but spice H20 (venue) was packed. If you don’t like crowds look for another deck to view the fireworks.

I read several reviews where people said Legally Blonde was loud. I didn’t find it so – I really enjoyed it. I would rate the show PG – 13 and saw a few couples with younger kids leave the show. Had a few suggestive moves and comments. I asked my 14 year old what she thought and she said those comments would probably pass over younger kids heads…..not too sure.

Burn the Floor was good but a bit too long in my opinion.

My teenage daughter made new friends at the Teen Club (Entourage) and loved every minute of her time there.

I don’t really like the fact that people can smoke on the baclonies on NCL. I opened my balcony to the smell of cigarette smoke, I quickly closed the doors! I wish they would change their smoking policy.

Pool area is very small for this size of ship! Area in front of pool to do activities, very small. Walking track is not the best as it is part of the deck where lounge chairs can be placed, so it is only open for walking jogging during certain hours.

Most of the food was just ok on the Getaway (rate the food 6/10), if you are looking for gourmet fare – I don’t think you will find what you are looking for…

Disembarkation was a breeze as well.

All in all it was a great vacation; NCL didn’t disappoint.

Publication Date: 03/18/14
More Norwegian Getaway Cruise Reviews

Read the previous Norwegian Getaway review Read the next Norwegian Getaway review

More Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews