Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by PatsRule010304

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by PatsRule010304
Celebrity Silhouette
Celebrity Silhouette
Member Name: PatsRule010304
Cruise Date: March 2014
See More About: Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+

Good cruise but some work is needed.

My wife and I booked with Celebrity last year, and just came back from a 7 day cruise on the Silhouette. Here are our observations, good and bad, sorry if it runs long.

HOTEL INFORMATION

We made our own travel arrangements down to Florida.

THE SHIP:

The ship was very well appointed, modern, not too big not too small. There are bars everywhere(at least 5). Almost all of the specialty restaurants(Qsine, Murano, The Tuscan Steak House) were on one deck, so that was nice.We had the boat figured out pretty quick. The theater is big, but there are obstructed seats that have support poles in front of them. Overall, I loved the ship. My only nitpick was that the chairs in the main dining room were fairly uncomfortable.

ACTIVITIES:

I cruise to eat, drink and relax, so I did not do all of the activities on the ship, but they do seem to offer a lot of them. If you sit by the pools, the entertainment staff will put on activities in the morning and sometimes in the afternoon.Some were a game of cornhole (or beanbag toss) where guests won a medal. Another day was a gussied up version of Simon says. I did not participate, but it was fun to watch.

Celebrity also offers lots of trivia games, which I enjoyed, and they changed up the subjects often Even better, you can win prizes for doing well on the trivia games. Mind you, the prizes are only cheap Celebrity swag,(I got a hat and some pens) but they could offer nothing. There are arts classes, which we did not take, and a few cooking classes. At night,there is karaoke and dancing in the Quasar Night Club.

In the early morning they have Zumba dance classes, and some nights they would have a "theme" party. where you can dance with the Celebrity dancers and entertainment staff. There also are a lot of selling seminars, I avoided all of those.

Overall if you want to keep busy there is a lot to do. The only issue I had was that several of the activities we went to started late(I mean 15-20 minutes late) and sometimes the activities staff seemed a bit disorganized. For example, we were to collect our trivia prizes at 8:00 pm on Saturday in the foyer of the theater. OK, no problem, but they scheduled one of the theme dances at 8:00 pm ...in the foyer of the theater. Us trivia types were soon overwhelmed by dancers and we ended up being pushed in a corner. Stuff like that. but overall I thought the activities were done well.

SERVICE

This is where we ran into some snags. Don't get me wrong, Many of the staff and crew we had interactions with were pleasant. Our room attendant and waiter and their assistants were top notch. Most of the pool attendants and bartenders were too.

On the other hand, my wife had a bartender who was upset that she asked for a mudslide, and gave us the evil eye the rest of the cruise. he smiled at other people and scowled at us. Why, who knows.

On our first day, we tried to redeem a free specialty restaurant voucher we got from our travel agent. The Guest Relations staff gave us the wrong price amount, he said it was good for 60 dollars when it clearly said 90. He got somewhat agitated when we pointed this out, and refused to budge. Turned out he was wrong, the 90 dollars was deducted from my bill not the 60.00. If he had checked with a supervisor, we could avoided 10 minutes of back and forth. This was not our first run-in with guest relations.

Celebrity skirts the line between deception and lying on their drink packages. They offered us a free classic drink package. It included soda, and water and beers up to 6:00 and mixed drinks to 8.00(not sure about the mixed drinks amount but something like that.) Ok sounds like a decent deal. The thing that no one told us(we overheard another guest complaining about it)was that if you buy a beer for 6.50, you are on the hook for the whole 6.50, not the 50 cents you were over! Nowhere on their web site or onboard did we find this out, if we hadn't heard that guest complain, we would have been in for a rude shock! We opted for the better drink package, which cost us a additional 160 bucks. Not Cool.

(There is a TL,DR at the bottom of the following experience, if you find this to be long)

Another service issue we had was the Silhouette's caviler attitude towards complaints. There was a party onboard with 10 adults and 12-15 kids. The kids ranged from 5 to maybe 17 years old, most were between 7-11. These parents apparently decided that they were not only on vacation from the cares of everyday life, but they were on vacation from parenting as well. They let their kids have run of the boat. The reason I am bringing this up is that Celebrity let them. From a 6 year old dragging a chair to the ice cream machine to stand on it tippy toe (no parents in sight),to them running up and down the theater aisles while the show was playing, to them constantly being underfoot of the servers at the main dining room. (they had 2 tables, with all kids NO parents, they were at their own tables, drinking their responsibilities away), nobody on staff did much to stop them. The older ones made a game of trying to sneak in the nightclub, they did not make it.

We decided to get away from them one night by dining at the Lawn Club Grille. So as we are beginning our meal, who comes running up? You guessed it those %$#@ kids! On the lawn, there are 6 hammocks, 2 super big lawn chairs for picture taking and 6 cabana's that you have to pay to use. and of course the lawn itself .

At one point the kids had all 6 hammocks rocking as fast as they could go, were climbing over the 2 chairs, and climbing on TOP of the cabana's, if they fell they would of gotten hurt, running on the lawn which they were not supposed to be on(it was roped off, i guess it needs rest). The parents were in the Porch bar where they could not even see what was going on, (like they cared). Now, to their credit the Lawn Grille staff were appalled at their behavior of the children, the servers, matre d' and even a cook told the kids to quit climbing on everything, but the kids could care less. So we took the issue to the Guest relations desk, this was the incident that finally caused us to complain(this is on the 5th day). We told the woman at the front desk what the kids were doing, and what they had been doing all week. We told her that we in no way fault what the Lawn Club people did, they did the best they could. What does she do? She calls the Lawn Club Manager! We quickly tell her, do not call him, its not their fault so we have her call a Guest Relations manager. The lady at the desk calls him over, and my wife explains the situation. The manager says "Oh the Group from Canada again?" So this means we are not the first to complain.(I don't care where they come from BTW) We ask "Can you guys do anything to help us out here"? These kids are running amok! The manager basically says we will ask them again to watch their kids more closely. Which would be fine and good if they have not acted like little terrors the other 4 days, you asking them hasn't done very much. My wife asks him if they can give us something, maybe 1/2 off our Lawn Club meal, since those rugrats basically ruined the experience for us, he basically says "No". Here is the thing. I get you really can't do anything to those kids. It should be the parents' responsibility to watch them. But when you have them screwing around with other guests' experience, you as the manager should have the power to give the other inconvenienced guests something. I guess he figured he rather lose the 2 of us than the 20 of them. So in my opinion, the Silhouette Guest Relations Dept could use some serious remedial training.

((TL,DR) Ran into pack of unsupervised rowdy kids for entire cruise , Celebrity did nothing about it, we complained, Celebrity response was "Too bad")

PORT AND SHORE EXCURSIONS

I barely got off the boat, but they take you to nice places, and people we spoke with were happy with the excursions, so they seem to do a good job.

CABIN

Very Very Nice! We had a balcony and it seemed very large, it also had nice sturdy patio furniture. The cabin was roomy, well appointed, and well thought out. The drapes closed well so no sun could get in.

DINING

Dining was a mostly positive experience. We ate a Qsine the first night. The food was good, The kitchen seemed a bit slow. I would say you should try it once, but I would not do it again.

We also ate at the Lawn Club Grill, The food was excellent, my strip and my wife's ribeye was perfectly cooked.( we elected for their cooks to do it)Except for the above mentioned kids the atmosphere was great. The service was very good. Try the chocolate chip dessert.

The Main dining room had good service, and the food was mostly good. There were some misses and the portions are small, but we ran into no hassles in getting another one.

The Buffet was...OK. There is a lot of variety, but some of that is mediocre at best. Their carving station meat seemed to be overcooked. The beef of OK, but the pork was always dry. The pizza was so so. The ice cream was terrible. the salad dressings need improvement. The worst part about the buffet was that when it got busy, they layout of the buffet lent itself to chaos. But that is a small thing we just went 30 minutes after the masses went through.

On the good side, their bread was excellent, they had a baked potato station with the fixings, a good antipasto bar, and a grill stations with some very good minute steaks. They also had a good variety of cheeses.

Near the pools they have the Mast Grill. Very simple fare (Hot Dogs and Hamburgers). The hamburgers were great!!! we ate lunch there twice! The hot dogs were good too.

We ate at the Bistro place once it costs 5.00 a person to eat there. I liked the crepe I got ,my wife did not.

Our salads were good.

CHILDREN"S CLUBS

Apparently the whole ship was the Children's Club, at least for our cruise. (see above)

ENTERTAINMENT

The Entertainment was good to very good. They had a Elton John Act which was good, a ventriloquist act that was really good, a cirque de solie(sp?) act that was not for me personally, but they did some amazing things, so i still would recommend it, a Michael Jackson/Stevie Wonder impersonator who was good and a Liar's Club show who was terrible. So 4 out of 5 is pretty good.

The Entertainment staff was entertaining, so they did there jobs well. Some of them were from Europe so some guests had a hard time understanding them, and they gave them crap about it. They handled it better than i would have, so kudos to them. The only drawback in my mind was that they ran late 3 times to events I went to. (I mean 15 -20 minutes late) Maybe they were short staffed.

DISEMBARKATION

This went well until we got our luggage. Ft Lauderdale was a mess, but that isn't Celebrity's fault.

SUMMARY

Great Ship, Good Food, Good waitstaff, Iffy management on the hotel side. I enjoyed my time on the Silhouette, but it seems Celebrity is lacking in customer service on occasion. They need to have a better policy on unattended children, and they need to get their policies straight on their drink packages.

Publication Date: 03/18/14
More Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Reviews

More Celebrity Silhouette Reviews
Still Enamored
Skips mom
Wondership ship and great cruise!

More Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews