Sapphire Princess Cruise Review by Brujomar

Member Name: Brujomar
Cruise Date: March 2014
Embarkation: Los Angeles
Destination: Mexican Riviera
See More About: Sapphire Princess Cruise Reviews | Mexican Riviera Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals
Value-for-Money 5+

Not as pleased on this voyage.

We had spent a glorious 28 days on Sapphire Princess last Oct/Nov cruising to Hawaii and the South Pacific R/T, so when we got a good deal on the 10 day Mexico Baja/Riviera cruise along with some friends, we jumped on it. We found this voyage to be much less impressive than our previous.

Noticeable differences: Stateroom tv had been transformed from a smaller 21" flat screen to a large 36" (I think as I didn't measure it) flat screen. Nice!...BUT, halfway through the cruise, technical staff converted the cable to a new 'internet based' television system, with some of the same channels...news, bridge cam, etc...plus a channel for order on demand movies....no charge.

How wonderful? you say......me too....now, I don't go on a cruise to spend much time watching tv in my stateroom, BUT, I do like having a little news update or music or catch a late movie as I fall asleep.

However, after the first day that it worked, each time I would turn on my tv, the screen would say "PLEASE STAND BY" in now glorious HD, 36"...and said that for the remainder of the cruise. The front desk would say, 'turn your tv off for 10 minutes to reset'....which I did for three days!.....Hope they get that working for you future cruisers.

2) Pretty much the entire waitstaff and deck hands etc. transformed during the cruise to Asian staff, as the ship heads for that market in about 2 weeks. No problem, except many had a very limited command of English.

3) The biggest issue we had was the quality of the air in our stateroom. We were on Baja deck, midship, inside. On our 4th day, we had a very pungent and irritating odor coming through our ventilation system that seemed like either lacquer/shellac or some sort of sealer. It caused our lungs and sinuses to become irritated and both my wife and I became ill. We told the front desk of the problem...they said they would send someone to see what was up and where the odor was coming from. To our knowledge, no one ever checked..no follow up, no contact. We were inside so had no option of venting the room ourselves.

We were ill for about 3 days with effects of the odor...it dissipated toward the end of our cruise. I believe it entered the system due to the remodeling that was being done in the gift shops as all of the gift shops were being updated and changed.

Other passengers in our general area on Baja Deck also had air quality issues and at least one I am aware of ended up sleeping in another cabin and received additional OBC for the inconvenience.

4) Wife had birthday during cruise. Nice door sign and a couple balloons were put up courtesy of Princess. I didn't spring for any additional celebration package, but we did receive a card that said "please present this card to your headwaiter for your birthday surprise"......so I did when we sat down for dinner. Upon conclusion of our meal, two waitstaff brought a small piece of chocolate type cake, with one candle...led the " Happy Birthday" song and left. We clapped and congratulated my wife and on we went to the show.

When I checked my bill, we were charged 10 dollars for this "birthday surprise" !

If you do have a celebration on board, celebrate among yourselves and don't tell the staff!

Overall, the ship is still a nice ship..clean and modern. Smooth as riding in your car. Love the Movies Under the Stars. Pools and spas are great. Food is Above Average throughout. Love the International Café. Embarkation and Disembarkation were smooth.

We just were disappointed on this particular voyage. Your mileage may vary.

Publication Date: 03/17/14